Sunday, September 6, 2009

On The Blog Again

Years ago, Willie Nelson had a hit song called On the Road Again. Do you remember it? For some strange reason, I have this song stuck in my head, but with the words, "On my blog again. Can't wait to get on my blog again..." Sorry I have been away for so long. But, here I am and I have the memories of a wonderful road trip to share with all of you. As many of you know, our youngest daughter is now attending my Alma Mater, so that called for a road trip from Mobile Alabama to Chicago, Illinois, by way of Grand Rapids, Michigan! Here are a few highlights of the trip:


Elise's car packed and ready to go!






Elise and her good friend, Molly, making a sad last journey together to her car.

Molly, greeting tearfully greeting Elise.


Elise saying her goodbyes to her friends at Chik-Fil-A





This is Chik-Fil-A where Elise worked while living in Mobile. She had to say lots of sad goodbyes on Saturday morning before we started on our long journey North. I love Elise's t-shirt. It's one from Ocean Springs, Mississippi, the city where she was born and raised.










We were finally ready to take off. We traveled the whole day and arrived at our daughter Laura's home around 7:30 that night. It was a long day and Elise did all of the driving. We spent a wonderfully relaxing Sunday with Jeff and Laura. Laura, Elise, and I watched the babies in the nursery before church...what fun! Heard a fantastic sermon, then ate a GREAT lunch that Laura prepared. Took a nap, then had Bible Study in Jeff and Laura's home. After small group their church gets together to hang out and play soccer. We met so many wonderful fellow believers and were warmly welcomed by them all. I was walking on cloud nine most of the day because whenever Laura introduced me as her "Mother" they didn't believe her...quite the boost for this old lady's ego!! I had pictures that Clarrisa took, but they are all on my other computer!


After another good night's rest. we got up early and traveled on to Trinity. Elise was able to see her dorm and I was able to introduce her to some of the people I know. We had hoped we could unload her stuff early, but for security reasons, we would have to wait one week. So, on to Grand Rapids we went to spend a few days with my Mom and sisters.


Nancy was the winner of my one and only blog contest. Here she is with one of her winning gifts...a lovely dead plant!






She was also presented with a charming salt and pepper set from Olga's.





Doesn't she look surprised and thrilled with her gift?


Mother and her daughters








Doing what we all do best...window shopping!








Mom points the way with her cane!







Then we spent a nice day in Nancy's pool before the cold weather came in. After this day, it turned quite rainy and cold. Elise and I froze! Nancy took us shopping for warm stuff at Old Navy.



Me, enjoying the sun.


Elsie, Nancy, and Nancy's friend, Barb






Kare, fresh out of her leg cast, enjoying the water.



After spending almost a week with my Mom, Elise and I took off for Chicago again and got her moved in to her dorm. Here are a few Pictures from Trinity:


Hard to see, but this is the inside of the new Boomsma Bookstore and Cafe (the BBC)
The new bridge that leads to the BBC

Trinity...Momentum for Life


Campus flowers



Trinity's Office of Admissions connected to the cafeteria. Trinity is situated on a former golf course. This was the old club house. When I was a freshman, this is where we ate our meals and had chapel. Now the clubhouse houses various offices such as admissions and financial aid.
While Elise got situated with her classes and roommates, I was on my own. I spent time with my friend, Daryce and her husband, Bob. They took me on a wonderful tour through their neighborhood, and then treated Elise and I to supper at the restaurant where I worked when I went to Trinity. We had so much fun! On Wednesday, Elise brought me to the airport. What a great trip!





























































































































































































3 comments:

Alice said...

That was great Joey! Enjoyed the pictures. Can't wait to visit TCC now! G'nite!

nancy said...

I finally found the comment "thing"way down on the bottom. What great memories we had!! The plant is still dead but I so love it, and Olga's are taking good care of my salt & pepper shakers. I'll visit them once in awhile! Seriously It was so good to have you "home " again! I am so happy for Elise and pray she will really love being at Trinity as much as you did!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your still BLOGGING
I sure dont want you to give that up.Dont be updating your blog now every 16 days people might start smoking and drinking again if you do