Monday, September 14, 2009

Refuge

Sometimes I don't like writing on this blog. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself and wonder why I should even write. These are the times when I should write, when I should get all my "junk" out in the open. Once I read my thoughts, it often helps me to refocus or see my situation from a different perspective. And from time to time, some of you comment and offer me such encouraging words of hope...words that remind me that I'm not the only one that struggles. We all face struggles, don't we? It's part of the "human condition". And it's also God's best way to shape and mold our character.
Having said that, I'm going to forewarn you that I will probably sound pretty down in my upcoming blogs. Life right now just isn't very easy or fun. I think it is all intensified by the fact that I just don't feel well. I think the antibiotic is beginning to make a difference, but I still felt pretty lousy today. I was so thankful when Bill came home from church last night and insisted that I stay home from work. Earlier in the day, I got so worried over not going to work. I am an independent contractor, so when I don't work, I don't get paid. But when Bill said, "You will stay home tomorrow", I didn't even worry about the money. I was too sick to care.
And then a little bright spot...I love how God knows just what we need and when we need it! I called the mother of the little boy I teach every morning to tell her I was unable to teach. After telling me to talk good care of myself, she added, "Joyce, before you go, I just want to share with you what happened to us on Saturday morning. C came running downstairs asking if it was a school day. I explained to him that it was Saturday and that we don't have school on Saturday. He then asked if he could please have school anyway. I told C that after my errands, we could do school together. C said, 'Not with you, Mom! I want Mrs Schulting!' Joyce, he has just never been like this before!" Well, that was the best medicine I could have received!
Right now I am clinging to Psalm 46:1. And in my devotion this morning, I found these words:
...so take My hand, sit down, and relax. Do you think the God who knows the number of hairs on your head will abandon you in your greatest hour of need? Be still My child. You are safe with Me."
Please continue to pray for Bill and I. I literally have no idea how I will fill my tank with gas or what food we will have this week. But I also know and believe in a God that makes a way, when there seems to be no way. (I've been singing that song a lot lately!!) And I joyfully look forward to the future story that will appear on my blog, the one where I share with all of you about the miraculous ways God provided for us!

2 comments:

Doug Verwolf said...

Aunt Joyce,

I promised you I would leave you a comment sometime on your blog. After reading this one I feel compelled. As I mentioned to you, I have been reading your blog for a few months. I feel I know you better now than I ever have before. You are a beautiful person and you have helped strengthen my relationship with the Lord through your stories,comments and thoughts on this blog. Please know that we will continue to pray for you and your family during these difficult months. Get better soon...it sounds like C needs you desperately!

Love, Doug

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)