Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Life In The Recliner


Greetings from my recliner! Unfortunately, mine isn't placed at the edge of ocean like the one in the picture. Last night I woke up with horrible pain and thought I had a migraine. I sat in my trusty recliner and held ice to my head. Everything after that is quite vague...I slept on and off for most of the day. I think it might be related to my ears because I remain nauseous and dizzy, but I definitely feel better than I did earlier in the day!
And so, my sweet husband picked up my first meal of the day...a salad. I ordered it and he picked it up on his way home from work. When he walked through the door, he asked if he was my "ex". I was confused! Granted, I was REALLY out of it today, but I was quite certain that I hadn't done anything strange in the marriage department. Then Bill said, "When I picked up the salad, they asked for my name. They told me that there were no orders for 'Bill"; they did, however, have an order for 'X', so, I'm just wondering if I am your 'X'!"
Yes, Bill...you are my "X-Man"! My hero! I am so thankful for this man! I can not BELIEVE he is turning such a BIG number next week! In his honor, I want to share a little bit about my "X".
Bill was born during a difficult time in Europe and especially difficult in the Netherlands. He remembers the Occupation as well as the sights and sounds of war. He remembers waking up to the neighbors talking about the Germans coming during the night and forcing all the teenage boys to follow them. He remembers, as a tiny little boy, looking up at a German soldier. He tells stories about not being able to take a bath. There was no hot water. People all helped each other find things to burn...wood, sticks, trash, anything to build a community fire. Then they were able to warm the water and wash clothes and wash themselves.
Bill shares very few stories about his childhood. He did however, share a new one just last week. I went over my retreat notes with him because he has such sound advice and keen insight when it comes to the Scripture. I told him what I was going to share from Isaiah 53...the part that states that there was nothing outwardly handsome about Christ. I told him I had a hard time with that concept because I have always pictured Jesus as beautiful. But I asked Bill if he thought that Jesus was not physically attractive in order that it would be His heart that drew people to Him. Bill agreed. Then He shared a little bit about his mother. She was a disfigured woman -she had a severely hunched back. Nothing to look at. But people were drawn to her. Everyone loved her. Bill told me that she thought of people that others took for granted. He said she often had tea waiting for the garbage men!
Bill inherited his kind, unassuming nature from his mother. Love you, Bill!


2 comments:

nancy said...

oh oh oh you sure get it all!! I'm praying by the time you read this you will be feeling ton's better! What a very nice tribute in honor of his 70th goood job!! feel better!! love love love Nancy

Anonymous said...

First i would llke to wish Bill a very happy birthday and reaching that milestone has not always been done easily.i can tell from his photo and a few emails from him that he is quite an unassuming indvidual.I'm a little younger than Bill BUT I also was born during the war in the Netherlands and even though i dont remember much of it my dad was in the Dutch underground during the day and my mother hid my father in a fake chimney.Had they found this fake chimney they would have shipped him to a concentration camp.Your blog brought back some of these memories from way long ago which will always remain.Enjoy your pleasant weekend and to you Bill
MANY HAPPY RETURNS AND ENJOY YOUR SPECIAL HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JUST ME
A Casual Acquaintance
HENRY