Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bill's Birthday Bash!

Here I am, in Orland Park, Illinois, trying to catch -up on a few computer things that need my attention. But for now I have a few minutes to share with you the highlights of our trip to Chicago.
It all began with an unused ticket. I was planning to travel to Chicago in January for a Board meeting. My ears made it impossible to travel. Southwest is so good about making it easy to transfer an unused ticket to someone else, so I offered the ticket to Bill for his birthday. I thought it would be fun for him to spend a weekend away and visit with Elise. He didn't like the idea, so I came up with another plan. I suggested that David, Bill, and I all fly together to visit Elise. That plan was a hit!
After purchasing our tickets, I called the rest of the children to see if they could travel to Chicago and we could have a surprise party! I really thought this was a long-shot, but they made it happen!
On Friday afternoon, we left Houston and landed in Chicago @ 6:30. Elise picked us up and brought us to the hotel. I had found a GREAT price on Priceline for the Marriott near Midway and we were able to get five rooms together.
Bill was resting after the flight, when there was a knock on the door! There stood Leilani! Bill seemed confused. Then more people started streaming into the room...Ted, Little Bill, Tim, and Lilly. Bill was dazed and confused! We all went down to eat and enjoy dinner together.
I stayed upstairs to babysit Little Bill. He was in 7th heaven because Lilly bought new toys to fascinate him on this adventure away from home. Bill was really into the new playdough, when he suddenly bolted out of the room! WOW, that little boy is fast!!! He was in search of the pool!
I finally caught up to him, but then realized we were locked out of his room! On top of that, I had no clue what the room number was! Somehow, I was able to convince the desk that I needed a new key even thought I didn't know what room I was in! Lily came up and took over with Bill and I joined the rest of the family downstairs. Midway through the meal, Elise left to pick up Tony. His flight had been delayed, but he made it to Chicago by 8:30.
After the meal, Elise and her brothers had their own party at TGIF. Bill and I went to bed. Around 3am I heard a knock at the door! It was David. He had a horrible toothache. I grabbed my coat and keys and headed to the parking lot. I didn't have a clue where Elise had parked her car, so I kept clicking the button for the horn. I never heard anything. FINALLY, I spotted the car. I tried to unlock it, but nothing worked. It was then that I realized I had Bill's car keys! So, back up to the room, did a mad search for Elise's keys, and headed back outside. Thankfully, David and I found a 24 hour store where he could get some Ambosol for his tooth.
Tomorrow I will write about day two. Right now, I have to leave Panera and get ready for my talk. I am a speaker at a luncheon/fundraiser tomorrow. My sister and her friend are driving over and I'm looking forward to their visit. Later....

Tim and David re-unite

Leilani and Grandma

Greeting Ted

Hugging Leilani

Bill waiting patiently as the hotel clerk and I whispered about the rooms

Bill walking into the Marriott - without a clue as to what is about to happen!


1 comment:

karen said...

How I wish I could have been there too. Saw Nancys' pictures and also Elises'. What a happy weekend!