Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Snuggie



The Snuggie. Who hasn't heard of it? This blanket with sleeves has caused an overnight sensation in our country. And I must confess, at 2:30 a.m. on the mornings I can't sleep, that Snuggie commercial has tried to lured me in on more than one occasion!

Yesterday I needed a Snuggie...at least, that's what I thought I needed. I woke up nice and early, hoping against hope that I would finally be feeling better and could go with my husband and son to pick up our daughter in Mobile. I wanted that trip. I longed for that trip. But, alas, it was not meant to be. If anything, I woke up feeling even worse. Ears still congested, but now with a touch of dizziness and upset stomach. I pulled the covers over my head and cried. Oh, well. I said my good-byes to the men in my life and returned to my new BFF - the recliner.

But all day, I drifted in and out of it, feeling worse by the hour. By suppertime I was beside myself. Not only was I sick, I started to unravel emotionally as well. I can't explain it, but for awhile there I really lost it. And what did I do first? I wrapped myself up in a comforter and curled back into the recliner.

Today I'm feeling better emotionally - not so much physically. And it has given me time to think about comforters, and Snuggies, and things that we use to try to get us to that "snuggly" place.
Today, I still have the comforter around me, but I have THE Comforter, as well. Yes, I know He was with me yesterday too, but yesterday I took my eyes off of Him and He let me just wallow around for a while. But today, I just went to climb in His lap and let Him love on me for a while.

He brought back scripture to me about the many ways He wants to comfort me. In fact, I even did a word search on the ways the word "comfort" is used in throughout the Bible...I feel another topic for women's retreat coming on!

Corrie Ten Boom used to say, "Don't wrestle! Just nestle!" So that's what I'm doing today...nestling in the arms of my Saviour. And you know what? It's soooo much better than any blanket with sleeves!

"May your unfailing love be my comfort..." Psalm 119

No comments: