Thursday, January 7, 2010

Open My Eyes, Lord. I Want To See Jesus.






This is a great book. (BTW, I let somebody out there read it. If you know where it is, can you return it, please? Or, I can always but another one...)



The author relates his journey living with Asperger's. So many, many of the stories are ones my family can relate to as we have walked the same journey with our son, David.



I am "friends" with the author on Face Book. This man is well spoken and has great insight. Today it gave me pause to read his comments that he posted after listening to a speaker from Rwanda. It raised many theological questions for him. Here is his blog if you would like to read about his thoughts on prayer and forgiveness and wrestling with God. I't really quite interesting!http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2010/01/power-of-prayer.html



Bottom line is that he questions the acceptance of a God that saves/helps some and seemingly leaves others out to dry. I like to listen to this wrestling. I like it because it sharpens my ability to answer people that have those same thoughts. It's so easy, as believers, to have our own set of values, to know what we believe based on what God has revealed to us in Scripture, but what do we do when we run into people that question the existence of God?



As I contemplated my response, I took a break to have devotions... and I just had to shake my head and laugh. I LOVE God and the way He surprises me, and the way He speaks my language! This is what the devotion said:



Do not be discouraged by the fact that many of your prayers are yet unanswered....keep Your eyes and your mind wide open to all that I am doing in your life.



So, just out of curiosity, how would be your response to John and also to this woman who used this quote to comment on John's concerns about a loving God?



"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones." -Marcus Aurelius



Doesn't it greive your heart to know how lost some people are...and we are called to be the Light in this very, very, dark world.



Which leads me to my next thought...a "Proud Grandma" moment! Our oldest Grandson is a freshman in high school. It was great to spend some time with him and his family at my Mom's BIG BIRTHDAY BASH.



Recently, Brandon gave a speech for an assignment in Honors English. His topic? Abortion. Going into the project, his teacher made it very clear where she stood on this issue. Brandon's grade? D- His mom's response? "Brandon, that is the best D- you've ever brought home!" His aunt's response? "Chin up, Brandon. God was the only audience member whose opinion truly matters, and He was evaluating you and your teacher, so resist the temptation to be bitter or get a bad attitude. We are called to return good for evil. So just keep being the best student you can be, and leave her(him?) to God."



I'm certain his great-Grandma is telling him how proud she is of him!

Great-Grandma and Brandon
So proud of you, Boo! Have a great second semester, and keep letting your light SHINE!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it