Monday, January 11, 2010

...and they HEAR the Shepherd's voice...



The gift of hearing...I've been thinking about those words lately. All of our senses are wonderful gifts. I don't know about you, but I now realize how ungrateful I have been for good health, good senses, good hearing - I just took for granted that everyday I would wake up and feel relatively healthy. Being a little sick, however, has refocused my thinking.

I won't go into some long, drawn-out diatribe here and bore everyone, but just let me say that living without really hearing everything going on around me has been a little scary! Like yesterday. I was quietly folding towels in the bedroom, and when I turned to reach for another towel, there was Bill! I screamed!!! I had no idea he had come home. Normally I would have heard the garage door open, or I would have heard him say, "I'm home!", but right now I hear very little.

It was brought to tears as I tried to put myself into someone elses shoes, because I realize now how indifferent I was to their plight. I had no idea how hard it is to not hear. We have friends that have a deaf child, I have had relatives that have lost their hearing with age, I know of a student who gradually lost her hearing for no known reason, and this past summer I heard an excellent speaker who is totally deaf. She speaks so eloquently, yet she can not hear her own voice. Harder still, she can not hear the voices of her children.

God never under-rates hearing, however. His Word is full of references to the importance of hearing. Right now, I can't hear very well. I trust it will only be for a little bit. And my little sickness pales in comparison to the significant challenges others face on a daily basis. I may not be able to hear, but I can listen. And through listening, I'm hearing God more clearly than I have a long time.

Mark 4:23 (New International Version)
If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.

And a little FYI: I called the doctor today. He wants me to wait and see if I make anymore progress. If nothing clears up by Thursday, he will re-evaluate the "puncture the eardrum to try to relieve some pressure" procedure. Meanwhile, I'm going to try to teach tomorrow. Yeah!


1 comment:

nancy said...

You are so right about everything we take for granted until we lose it! I had that for the short time when I had the episode with my eyes! Thankfully it was only the allergic reaction that went away, but it sure does refocus your appreciation for health! I think we learn our best lessons in the school of LIFE! Still praying it won't be long and you will be able to hear Bill come home again!!Lot's of Love andlots of hugs,(^_^) NKW