Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Divine Nudgings

Me, Writing My First Book...Vermeer Captured My Essence, Don't You Think?
(The Hair...Maybe Not So Much!!)

Nothing new to report about my ears. I really hope I wake up and find that my hearing has returned, the pain and pressure are gone, and that I can return to the land of the living!


Meanwhile, this unexpected time of calm and quiet as had its times of joy as well. I have been able to spend much more time, quiet time, in His presence. It has been soul satisfying.


The year my father died, my Mom bought each of us (for herself and her three daughters) a devotional book. That way, no matter where in the world we are, we know that we are united in what we have read from God's Word that day, and have shared the same devotional thought. This year, after we went out for my birthday lunch, she presented each of us with our new book. This one is such a delight. The author is Sarah Young and the book is entitled, Jesus Calling.


Yesterday's devotion was so timely for me. For many years, people have heard me speak or give my testimony and they have said, "Wow! You should write a book!" I think I've written before
how my oldest sister has always encouraged me in that direction. Even our minister's wife used to tell me that after all we've been through as a family, I should write a book that could be a real source of encouragement to others. And then there is my faithful blog buddy, whom I've never even met face-to-face, who sent me information about getting started with writing...thanks for believing in me, Henry!


The "biggie" came yesterday. I received an email from a new friend I met this past summer at a speaker's/writer's convention. She was my partner, my speaking buddy, in our evaluation group. She, too, was a former teacher, plus we both have the name Joyce. At the conference we were known as "Joyce and Re-Joyce". Anyhoo, she sent me an email telling me that her book was just published. I went to Amazon, and sure enough, there it was! So happy for her!!!


I've said all that in order to quote from my new devotional. For me, it was a Divine nudge. I think God may be preparing me to write. This is only in the infant stage of the whole process, but I, like little Samuel, want to say, "Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening!" And this is what God said to my listening heart yesterday in the devotion:

True dependence is not simply asking Me to bless what you have decided to do. It is coming to Me with an open mind and heart, inviting Me to plant My desires within you. I may infuse within you a dream that seems far beyond your reach. You know that in yourself you cannot achieve such a goal. Thus begins your journey of profound reliance on Me. It is a faith-walk, taken one step at a time, leaning on Me as much as you need. This is not a path of continual success but of multiple failures. (GULP!) However, each failure is followed by a growth spurt, nurtured by increased reliance on Me...



This gives me a refreshing perspective on the writing process. God plants the desire, and I am called to faithfully follow and to LEAN!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those words from our devotional struck me also yesterday. I'm enjoying this book more than last years. kjk

Nancy said...

The resemblance is amazing!! She even likes poke-a-dots!! I know you can do the writing....no question about it! You have the God given gift! You can do all things ,in Christ who gives you strength!! You go girl!! I don't read much, but I'll definately read your book!! Love you!! Nancy