Friday, January 8, 2010

Ears and Games

What I heard at the doctor today!


Three quick updates:

1. Many of you have been sending emails, calls, and texts of concern about my poor ears. Thank you! Today I went to a fantastic ENT. Why fantastic? Well, it began with his office staff. After seeing my internist on Tuesday, she gave me a list of ENT doctors to call. I began with the first one on the list. When I told her I was "self-pay", she told me office visits began at $250.00. I told her "Thank you" and went to doctor #2 on the list. A whole different scenario. She said she had an opening for Friday, but that I might want to wait and see if the steroids made any difference. She wanted me to hold off just a few days, because she didn't want me to spend money unnecessarily. She also told me she would work me in if I needed an appointment and NOT to worry about the cost. What a breath of fresh air!!!
So, today I went to see Dr. Klinker (what a cute name)! He told me, "Yup! You've got it bad!" He then proceeded to tell me that he could slit the eardrum (OUCH!!!) and release the pressure.
But, he also said that there is so much swelling that I risk the fluid returning and having even more pain. After thinking about it for one nano second, I said that I will just try to let this run its course. He said that everything should clear up on its own within six weeks! SIX WEEKS??? But he reassured me that it wouldn't take that long for me, given the fact that I already have one week of pain behind me. Thanks, Dr. Klinker!!!
2. I wrote to the author I told you about yesterday. I shared with him that while I disagreed with his conclusions,I liked the honest wrestling he is doing with some of life's most difficult questions. He responded by telling me that his article was just chosen to be in Psychology Today.
3. And this is soooo God's timing...I received an article on FB today from World Magazine. It clearly explains the difference between a believer and an unbeliever's approach to the hard questions of life. It's a GREAT article and worth your attention and time.http://online.worldmag.com/2010/01/08/heads-i-win-tails-you-lose/

1 comment:

nancy said...

Horray!! There is lite at the end of the tunnel!! I'm praying it won't take that long for the pain to go away!!Love & Hugs Nancy