Friday, September 12, 2008

Waiting...


I have never liked going to the dentist's office. Even as a little girl, I would try every trick in the book to get out of going. Even something simple like getting my teeth cleaned seemed to make me sick to my stomach! When I was pregnant I had a horrible toothache and waited for as long as I could stand it before I reluctantly called Dr. Smith. He told me he was going to have to pull my wisdom tooth. He even said he had time to do it right then and there! My reply? "Oh, thanks, but I think I better ask my husband first!" (Proof that I CAN be submissive to my husband! LOL)

That's kind of how I feel right now as I wait for Hurricane Ike. I have that same "oh-no-I-have-to-go-to-the-dentist" kind of stomach ache. After living on the Gulf Coast for over 25 years, I've experienced hurricanes and they are never fun. I'm not looking forward to hearing those horrible wind gusts that last for hours. I don't look forward to spending days without electricity.

I've prepared as best I could with water, food, etc. and now I need to emotionally prepare. How? I remind myself of the many ways my Heavenly Father shows His love for His children. These are a couple of the verses that I love:

1. Psalm 147:4 He determines the number of stars and calls them each by name. To me, that is so comforting. The God of the universe not only created every star, He also has a name for every star. And if He knows their names, He knows my name too! I'm not just one in a mass of humanity. He knows my name and He knows I need Him to be with me during the storm.

2. Hebrews 7:25 ...He always lives to intercede for them. It fills me with awe to know that Jesus prays for me! So right now He is bringing my prayer requests to God! Talk about having an awesome prayer partner!!!

3. Isaiah 49:15-16 ... I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... My God has my name tattooed on His hands!

4. Isaiah 43:1,2,5 Fear not, for I have redeemed you: I have summoned you by name: you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. DO NOT BE AFRAID, FOR I AM WITH YOU.

And so there you have it...having to face another storm, but not having to face it alone. Next time I post, the storm will be past and I'll tell you how we fared.

No comments: