Friday, September 5, 2008

Love It!!! Gotta Share It!!!

Just read this and had to share it!

Basics for Believers: An Exposition of Philippians (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1996):
The ultimate ground of our rejoicing can never be our circumstances, even though we as Christians recognize that our circumstances are providentially arranged. If our joy derives primarily from our circumstances, then when our circumstances change, we will be miserable. Our delight must be in the Lord himself. That is what enables us to live with joy above our circumstances. As Nehemiah puts it, “The joy of the Lord is your strength” (Neh. 8:10). Perhaps that is one of the reasons why the Lord sometimes allows miserable circumstances to lash us—that we may learn this lesson.…Whatever the mysteries of evil and sorrow, they do have the salutary effect of helping believers to shift the ground of their joy from created things to the Creator, from the temporary to the eternal, from jingoism to Jesus, from consumption to God. (p. 106)
And on a lighter note, I got a phone call from a dear college friend who was reading my post from yesterday. She told me she laughed so hard at the part where I said how I, if I were an Israelite in the desert, would have been gathering manna all day instead of just a little jar-full. "Who are you trying to kid, Joey??? I know you, and you would be out there with a shovel and a refrigerator box!"
Ouch!! I guess my flaws aren't as well hidden as I had hoped!! But hey, I'm learning....one day at a time. :)

No comments: