Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Time To Hunker Down!

Sadly, I realize I'm not in Mississippi anymore. Our radio and tv stations are all abuzz with information about Hurricane Ike. While they are giving good advice on evacuation routes, what supplies to have on hand, and how to properly prepare, I miss hearing the voice of Governor Barbour from MS telling us to "hunker down"! He managed to get the message out to all of us in two words...and believe me, we knew what those two words meant! Right now Houston and the Gulf Coast is in the process of hunkering down. There are lines of cars at all the gas stations. Tanks need to be full in case of evacuation or in case tankers aren't able to get here for a few days. Places like Loew's are busy selling lumber for people to use to cover up their windows. Wal mart and Target have all the hurricane supplies in the front of the store - water, candles, batteries, and canned food - so that customers can grab the stuff and go. Within the last hour our phone has been ringing. Our dinner with friends on Sat. has been cancelled. The girl that cuts my hair cancelled my Sat. appointment. The boy that I teach every morning is evacuating, so I won't teach him the rest of the week. I am part of a care team that cares for quintuplets. My shift is on Saturday mornings, but they are evacuating, so I won't see those precious babies for awhile! And many friends are calling to make sure we are okay and asking what we are going to do. Quite honestly, I don't know. We are watching all the reports very carefully and will make a decision in the morning. Regardless of where it hits, we will have bad weather - lots of wind and rain - for the next few days. Please pray for the people down here. Ike looks like a serious storm. Well, time to "HUNKER DOWN"!

No comments: