Thursday, September 11, 2008

Take a Hike, Ike!

This morning I woke up to many reminders of the hours before Katrina. Ike is a serious storm and it is being taken seriously by everyone here in Texas. Even though we live 70 miles from the Gulf (as opposed to where we were with Katrina - our home was right on the Gulf), we are still promised very strong winds and rain for many hours as Ike slowly lumbers to the North. I won't lie...I'm scared. This storm is serving to trigger some of my most vulnerable areas - areas that I have been trying so hard to deal with over the past year. So when I woke up this morning and was confronted with non-stop media coverage, when I saw that Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel was in Galveston (that's an inside joke among hurricane survivors...you can tell where the hurricane is coming because that's where you'll find Jim Cantore!), when I saw the lines were even longer at the gas pumps this morning, when I got an email from church asking where we were going to ride out the storm, when I got a call from my husband telling me the office would shut down at 1:00 today, that's when I went to my only constant source of comfort - my faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ. I also found myself singing a song that I've loved since I first heard it in college. These are the words:

When I think I'm going under, part the waters, Lord
When I feel the waves around me, calm the sea
When I cry for help, oh, hear me
Lord and hold out Your hand
Touch my life
Still the raging storm in me.


Today I have that song on a CD, sung by a group named Selah. I love their voices and their music. The group was made up of a brother and sister and their friend from college. Today the sister is raising her family, so there is a new singer. I had the privilege of hearing them live two years ago on a cruise - of all places! The whole ship was filled with Christian women and all of the speakers and artists were Christian. It was so uplifting. Anyway, I tried to find the lyrics to the song, and I stumbled across this video. It is a somber reminder of 9/11 and the war. So many are vocal about their disdain for this war, but the bottom line is that we have thousands of our sons and daughters over there right now, ready to give their lives to defend us and our country. We owe them our honor and thanks. And we owe them our prayers. So please join with me in remembering all the families affected by 9/11, those affected by war, and those bracing themselves against Ike. Well, for some reason I can't post the video, so just click here to watch it:

No comments: