Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vocabulary "Fun"?????

It's almost 5 p.m. and I will be leaving soon to tutor a few more students. One of those students is preparing for the SAT exam. We have been meeting twice a week for five weeks, and this Saturday is her test! I can handle the reading section and the writing section, but the vocabulary section is REALLY hard for me!!! I hate to admit it, but I'm probably learning more that she is at this point!!!

Take, for example, these words: contumelious, vitiate, and insouciant. And those are the EASY ones!!! For five weeks I have taught her 40 new words per week...that means I have a new treasure pile of 200 words at my disposal. But don't get your hopes up. I doubt if I will begin using any of them any time soon. Except maybe "plethora". That's a fun one!

While I was in Chicago, I began reading a book by an gal that will be on our cruise next week. OH!!! Did I mention I will be on a cruise? With my mom and sisters!!!! I fly to Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday, and we leave on Thursday. Anyway, back to the book. It is written by Lysa TerKeurst and she uses words I can relate to like "ginormous". I don't think you'll find that word in the dictionary, much less on the SAT test, but every over worked mom knows what it feels like to have a "ginormous" headache!!! Am I right, ladies???

I like the way Lysa works with vocabulary words A WHOLE LOT MORE (!!!!!) that that old SAT test does. In her book, she quotes from Ephesians 1:17, where the phrase glorious Father is found. Lysa writes that while there are many meanings for the word glorious, these are her two favorites: "entitled to great renown" and "completely enjoyable".

Now that's a great vocabulary lesson in my book! In fact, it was completely enjoyable to me, so I will call it a glorious vocabulary lesson! How about you? Any new words you've been learning?

Thank you Father, that You are perfectly glorious! Always!

No comments: