Monday, October 4, 2010

Trinity and Emmys!

Trinity Christian College

I just returned from a quick trip to Chicago! I am on the Alumni Board of Directors (doesn't that make me sound special!) and always find our meeting mentally and spiritually invigorating! I love hearing about what's new on campus. It's also a great time to catch up with old friends. And now that our daughter Elise attends Trinity, I also get to spend some special time her.

On Friday evening, the college had a special dinner honoring special alumni. This year, one of the honorees was Kurt Schemper. Kurt is a '97 graduate from Trinity and presently works in LA as a producer for the A&E show, Intervention. Kurt shared clips from the show and walked us through a typical day. Kurt won an Emmy award for his work with the show. It was endearing to hear him say, "You know, I probably could have gone to any college and I still would be doing what I am doing today. But I wouldn't be the person I am today if I had not attended Trinity."

I sat next to Kurt during lunch (I can now say I sat next to an Emmy award winner!!!! Never thought I would be able to say that!!!!). He is the real deal. So down to earth. Just a regular guy sharing the transforming power of Christ in the place where God wants him to be a light. I think most grads from Trinity share Kurt's sentiments about the college. I'm thankful that Trinity instills the truth that our life in Christ can not be compartmentalized...rather, it must be integrated into every area of life. Jesus isn't only important in church. Our relationship with Christ is to be brought into every area. That being said, I would echo Kurt's words. I could have gone to any college and I would be able to become a teacher. But because I attended Trinity, I have a better understanding of what it means to bring Christ with me when I teach. I was taught well and learned the difference between being "a teacher who happens to be a Christian" and "a Christian teacher".

Thank You, Father, for Trinity Christian College. May she bring You glory, always.

No comments: