Tuesday, July 27, 2010

One Little "Did"

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' in the sun,
Talkin' bout the things
They woulda-coulda-shoulda done...
But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away and hid
From one little did.

I love this poem by Shel Silverstein. I've been thinking a lot lately about the topic of this poem, thanks to my brother-in-law, Harv. He wrote an equally magnificent poem on this topic, and together (Harv and I) are looking at the many ways our "woulda-coulda-shouldas" keep us locked to our past in unhealthy ways. Today, as I read more about Rahab in the novella by Francine Rivers, I began to think of the wonderful way she chose to make a break from her past. It was a purposeful, deliberate choice to do.

Rahab was from Jericho. She was a prostitute. She was a Canaanite. But when she met the two Jewish spies, none of that mattered. She took a huge leap of faith. She chose to sever her ties to her past when she dangled the scarlet cord from her window. She chose to follow God and His people. And because of that choice, she not only became the great-great-grandmother of King David, but she is listed as one of the great heroes of faith in Hebrews.

What would have happened if she let the moment pass? As the walls of Jericho fell, would her last thoughts been, "I should have listened"? Or "I would have chosen to forsake my past if I only had a little more time"? Or "I could have been enjoying life, but instead I'm lying here in the rubble of the wall!"

Praise God that she was a courageous woman of action. What about us? Somedays it's just so much easier to sit in the wading pool of regret, just wishing we would have made different choices, isn't it? How about making an "I DID" choice? Need a power verse for this mission? Try Joshua 1:9. Let me hear from you about your "I did" day, ok?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

its so easy to make a choice but so difficult to make the correct choice unless someone makes it for us.making the wrong choice can be as frustrating as making the right one.I guess choosing the correct one has to be a faith inspired incentive but how does one know if its the proper one before you find out its the wrong one.
Henry

Blah, Blah, Blah! said...

Very true, Henry! Choices are often difficult to make,especially when they have far reaching effects. I remember talking with my dad about this topic and asking him how I would know I'm making the right choice. He said that for some choices there may be no obvious right or wronge said in that situation one should pray for wisdom, make the decision that seems right at the time, and then trust AND NEVER LOOK BACK. I think that's where most of us get hung up...we look back. The only healthy response to looking back would be to learn from mistakes. Some of us, however, get stuck in the woulda-shoulda-coulda thinking and our lives are filled with paralyzing regrets.

NANCY said...

WOW YOU TWO ARE GETTING TOO DEEP FOR ME!!!

Pray for wisdom
Trust God will give you wisdom
Believe "He will direct your path"

AMEN

Blah, Blah, Blah! said...

Sounds like you got it to me. See! You are wiser than you think! You are rich in Godly wisdom, sweet sister! xoxoxo