Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Poor Petunias

Petunias In Better Days


Shhh....can you hear that sound? It's my petunias. They're groaning! Poor babies. It's been soooo rainy here lately and I think they are experiencing the dreaded "root rot"! I hope not! I hope they revive and survive!

When I see things like this in nature, it always reminds me of Roman 8:19-22 where Paul talks about creation groaning. I think of this verses when I see pictures of the beaches in Florida -where our family has frequently vacationed - now covered with oil. I thought of those verses after Katrina, when the beautifully majestic oak trees were uprooted. And I think of those verses as I witness my petunias drowning and my gardenias wilting. Creation groans.


I like that bit of personification that Paul uses. It makes it quite clear that when man first disobeyed, there were consequences to the disobedience. Consequences for man: consequences that put ugly marks on all of creation.


But that's not the end of the story! God has given to man a glorious promise of redemption. A glorious promise that - someday- all things will be made right. All of creation will be restored to what it should have been like in the first place. Man will be without sin - restored and living forever in a restored world where creation no longer groans. We won't groan and petunias won't either! What a glorious hope we have! Thank you, Father!


* I haven't done this verse justice...it is so rich in meaning! If you want to read some good commentary on this verse, take a few minutes to ponder the thoughts at PBC.org The commentary I read was entitled, "Eager Anticipation".

No comments: