Monday, July 12, 2010

Friends, Skype, and Tiger Balm

The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch swing with, and never say a word, and walk away thinking that was the best conversation you ever had.


So very thankful for my wonderful friend, Alice. Thursday night I could not sleep. I had a migraine and had slept most of the day, so when it was time to actually sleep, I just wasn't tired. I got out of bed and headed toward the recliner with computer in hand. There, in the dark, I started checking out my email but kept thinking, "Alice must be up...I sure wish I could talk to her!". And then, in the dark, out of no where, this most welcoming sign appeared on the computer:





That meant that Alice saw that I was online. Up popped this question, "What's wrong, Joey? Can't you sleep?" Oh, hooray! I called Alice (who lives in Amsterdam!) via Skype and we talked the night away! If you don't have Skype, get it! It's FREE! You can talk via the microphone on your computer. If you have a camera, you can see each other. Simply wonderful!!!


I finally went to bed at 6 a.m. Woke up at 9;15 and went to water aerobics. Quickly changed and left to do errands at 11:20. David went to a movie while Elise and I headed over to the college to sign her up for a summer class. While walking from one building to the next, my knee started to ache. Soon the pain was intolerable. By time we got home, all I could do was prop it up, saturate it with ice, and cancel my tutoring class.


By time Bill got home, I pleaded with him to scour any and all medicine bottles in search of pain medication. He found something that was prescribed for me back in January when I had so many problems with my ears. It had codeine and the directions said I could take two every six hours. It took the edge off - barely! Next, Bill had to pillage through the under-the-sink stuff in search for Tiger Balm. Alice gave me some from her trip to Thailand. I rubbed it all over my knee. This helped me make it to midnight. Bill gave me two more pain killers and I made it through the night. Woke up at 7 a.m. with THE worst headache. Soon I was shaking and sweating and realizing I was the only one downstairs. Everyone else was sound asleep upstairs.(I have found that there is one thing worse than being sick and that is being sick all by yourself!) After vomiting, a little relief came. Long story short, I have spent the whole weekend in bed, trying to stay off of my knee.

I'm hoping the daylight brings relief and a better week!



2 comments:

Alice said...

It was great talking to you too Joey. So sad you're sick now. Hope the knee heals quickly. Hope you heal quickly.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?