Friday, June 11, 2010

Water Aerobics


Poor Elise! Today I dragged her to her first water aerobics class. I told her how fantastic it would be and prattled on and on about how much fun it was to exercise in the water.
I read in the neighborhood paper about a free water aerobics class offered every morning at 10a.m. I instantly added this activity to my legendary "Summer To-Do List". I can only fit it in on Friday and Saturday mornings, so today was Day One!
Elise and I were the first to arrive, so we gingerly made our way into the pool and tried to get used to the water. Next came our cute little instructor, wheeling in all her equipment. As she set up her sound system, a few more women made their way into the pool.
That's when something became glaringly obvious. Not only we were the first to arrive, we were also the youngest people in the pool...by a l o n g shot!!! The next thing that went wrong was the sound system. It didn't work. No problem...our cute little instructor SANG!!! Now, if you've ever been to a water aerobics class, you know how crucial the music is to the class. It's a very highly charged music that keeps a definite beat...very fast and lively! Well, can you picture us in a class of 70 somethings and the instructor (who is a youthful 78!) starts singing a song for us to jog and turn and twist and jump to??? Go ahead and try it out for yourself...I'll wait for you. Start singing a little diddy like "Jack and Jill Went Up the Hill" and then do jumping jacks. Sorry, but it didn't quite put a pep in my step...how was it for you?
Elise and I giggled our way through the class, managed to get a fairly decent workout, and also got plenty of sun...we're both quite pink tonight and I think we'll sleep well. And tomorrow we'll do it all over again!

2 comments:

NANCY said...

LOL GOOD FOR YOU!!! Wish I could have witnessed that one!! I'm very proud of you and your new exercise program! I need to get a little more exercise in my pool instead of just floating on my raft!! keep up the good work! love ya

Alice said...

Kakakakaka. Akakakakaka! That was a visually very funny story. Keep going. You'll get in shape just by laughing. Who knows how funny the real music will be!!