Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Mountain Top Experience

I want to blog...I need to blog...but, quite honestly, I've come down from the mountain top of the She Speaks conference only to be hurled into the valley of despair...and it's always so much fun to read someone's blog that is full of complaining, right? But that's one of Satan's all-time favorite tactics, isn't it? Just pacing back and forth, keeping us within range, and then pouncing on us when we are weak, and tired, and vulnerable to his attack. So I googled "Mountain Top Experiences" and found a wonderful sermon. Here it is, in case you may want to read it: http://www.centralpc.org/sermons/2001/s010225.htm
So, what was the conference like? Well, it was a large room full of sisters in the Lord that all had the same desire I have held in my heart for so long. Women that, like myself, have been given a dream, a desire, a burden to make God known. These women are all so talented, but there was no hint of the typical jealousy and comparison issues that women can get so easily tangled up in (sorry for ending with a preposition).
For example, the evaluation group that I was in ...these women were so encouraging! And the testimonies they gave...WOW!...it's mind-boggling all the different life situations we each are called to deal with! (Oops! Another preposition!) There were many, many evaluation groups and each group was assigned to one of the Proverbs 31 women. I was with Micca Campbell. She really gave us all good pointers about ways to develop our talks, how to improve our introductions and endings, etc.
We were each evaluated by our peers and also by Micca. In fact, we are allowed to use her comment about our speaking on our bio sheets and brochures that we create and send out for possible speaking assignments.
And, oh, what incredibly awesome women God placed in our little evaluation group! One women is married to a man that ministers to famous athletes and tv personalities...another woman authored a children's book and gave each of us a signed copy! Another has a daily radio program, and one of the women grew up in the entertainment industry and personally knew many famous singing artists. Each one had a different journey, but we all had Christ in common and that made all the difference. If I hadn't made it to an evaluation group, my experience would have been quite different. I would have been just one face in 600. It makes such a difference when someone calls you by name, recognizes you, and welcomes you to their table!
But this conference was so much more. For me, it was a confirmation that God has a plan and that this conference was right where I needed to be. What that plan is and where it will lead, I have no idea, but I'm just excited about the journey!
So many of the attendees expressed this same feeling...that God was present with us. I saw Him in the faces of the women I spoke with, I heard Him as the professionals taught us, I felt Him showing me over and over how much He loves me...ME! The dumb woman that shut down the security line at the airport at 5:00 in the morning! I have my own name for this conference: HE Speaks and I Listen.
And a big heartfelt thank you to the person out in blogland that made it possible for me to attend. Your gracious gift will NEVER be forgotten!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really happy to hear the Conference and your attendance was so succesful.I was proud to be able to sponsor one of your goals.Keep Smiling and Keep Doing what your doing.I'm glad i was able to help even for a little bit
Just a friend

Unreasonable Grace said...

He Speaks. I listen.

Wow.

Can I borrow that?

I'll be visiting you often!
kim