Saturday, July 11, 2009

Memories of Bette



This week, during an interview on the Today Show, a reporter was broadcasting outside of Forest Lawn Cemetery in Hollywood Hills. The press was trying to figure out if this would be Michael Jackson's final resting place (as if it's any interest of ours!). The reporter said something like, "If this is where he will be laid to rest, he will be in impressive company. Marilyn Monroe, Betty White, Lucille Ball, Telly Savalas, William Conrad, Buster Keaton, Liberace, Freddie Prinze, and Ed McMahon are just a few of the many celebrities that are buried here." Meredith Viera thanked the reporter but added, "I think Betty White would want us all to know that she is still alive and well. I think you meant to say Bette Davis." I wish You Tube had that blooper...

Speaking of Bette Davis, this morning I saw an old movie of hers, Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte. It's a black and white mystery/ horror movie about a misunderstood spinster. The only reason I know anything about it is that I once had to write a report about this movie. That's right, I had to write a report about this movie for my dad!!! Way back in the summer of 1966, we were at our summer cottage. Bobby Bromley was head-over-heels for my best friend, Sheila Norris. Bobby wanted to take Sheila on a date, to a movie. The problem was, the only place that showed movies in Baldwin, Michigan was a drive-in. Sheila's parents would only allow her to go to the drive-in if her sisters and I went with her. And I was only allowed to go to the drive-in if I wrote a report about the movie we saw. So off we went, Bobby and Sheila in the front seat, while Sara, Kathy and I (with notebook firmly planted on my lap!)were smushed in the back. Wow! Have things changed! And kids think they have it bad today!

1 comment:

Jean F. said...

Love this! We still have a drive-in here in town, I am DEFINITELY going to use this strategy for my dating and soon to be dating children. :)