Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Good Ol' John Calvin

Today I was really off. I had such a strange headache and I felt like the burdens of the whole world somehow found their way to my shoulders. I tried to take a nap and sleep away my headache, which worked for a while but now it seems to be coming back. The weight of the world, however, is still very present. Have you ever had one of these days? It's the kind of day when everything seems so dismal and black and thoughts range from, "I can't do anything right!" to "I'm getting no where with this stupid diet. I need a Snickers!" to "Why do I even waste my time blah blah blahing on that stupid blog?" Get the idea? Everything seemed kind of bleak.
God brought a quote to me a few moments ago that helped me to adjust the lens of my life's camera, and things slowly came back into focus. Here is the quote: Whenever the Lord gives a command, many things are perpetually occurring to enfeeble our purpose: means fail, we are destitute of counsel, all avenues seem to be closed. In such straits, the only remedy against despondency is to leave the event to God, in order that He may open a way for us when there is none. For as we act unjustly towards God, when we hope for nothing from Him but what our senses perceive, so we pay Him the highest honor, when, in affairs of perplexity, we nevertheless entirely acquiesce in His providence.- John Calvin
Despondent...that's a great way to describe my spirit today. I was getting down about all the things I can't control in my life. Things like my husband being out of work, or not being able to do a speaking presentation at the conference. I need to "acquiesce"...isn't that a great word?! Time to once again "turn my eyes upon Jesus" and focus on the ONE who has everything under control!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all have days like that BUT the best thing about it is they only last a day or two and than life changes once again for a more positive & joyous aftereffect

Alice said...

Hey Joey, you just described my day today, and for that matter, my day this past week! We are not as unique as we think we are. We are basically so blessed in so many ways that we can't impatient when things seem out of our control or we have to wait for answers. The best thing to do is keep busy for diversion or meditate and be aware of being. The darkest hour is just before dawn. Be strong my friend. Big hug, Alice

Alice said...

I hate spelling mistakes that slip past me!! Correction in previous comment: We are basically so blessed in so many ways that we BECOME impatient when things seem out of our control