Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Wonderful Perspective


For some of you, this entry won't make any sense. It may even seem foolish. But I have to admit that on Monday night, when I was held up at the airport, all I wanted to do was find out the "Big Announcement" on Jon and Kate Plus Eight. The moment I landed, I called Elise. Not to say "Hi, I missed you sooo much!" but to have her turn on channel 66 and let me know what was going on. Why? Why was I so consumed? Because for some reason this family encouraged me. I enjoyed turning in on Mondays to find out what Maddy made in school or what cute observation Aiden had made about the world or just to see Leah's precious smile. And then there were the parents. No, I didn't like the way Kate bossed her husband around, but I loved Jon's casual ( and satirical) comebacks. And I loved that he often wore a t-shirt with a quote from Isaiah that reminded all of us out in TV Land that "They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength."
I even heard her speak when she came to Houston in January...I even spoke with her as she autographed a copy of her book for me. When a friend said, "Oh, I can't stand her!" I came to Kate's defense. I told my friend that when I heard her speak and share from her heart, she wasn't this domineering, control-freak that was portrayed on the program.
So imagine my despair when they ended the season with Jon very clearly stating he wanted to rethink their contract. He had had it with the intrusion in his personal life, while Kate still wanted to "keep the cameras rolling." Then, suddenly, everything went south! My heart could hardly bear the first episode of the new season..it was so sad to see the disintegration of a family played out before my eyes. While many people (and magazines!) have had much to say about this topic, I admire Lysa TerKeurst's comments on the situation and her Godly response. She is the woman that set up the speaking engagement for Kate in Houston This is her take on the situation:
Over the past couple of days I've received 3 e-mails about an acquaintance of mine that is on the cover of many tabloid magazines right now. This blog post is not meant to defend, offend, discuss, rehash, or remark about this woman I care about in any way.This blog post is about you and me.And those three e-mails.The first e-mail I received used such hateful remarks, it hurt my head to read it. Seriously, I could have skipped my run for that day because reading that e-mail set my heart racing as much as a good cardio workout. It was dripping with judgement, condemnation, and venomous words like "shameful" and "hate."Many of those words directed at me and my character.The second e-mail I received was a 'Christian' call to action. It was strong and slightly demanding that I do something about this situation. You know, rain down a little hell fire and brimstone in an effort to correct the actions of this woman in question. All in Christian 'love,' of course.The third e-mail was completely different. It still expressed concern and rightly so. However, in complete humility she said she's using this situation as a call to action to examine her own life and as a call to prayer for this woman's life.She said as she watched this woman being featured on TV, she saw things that bothered her. So, she asked herself some very tough questions about her own life- her own marriage- her own attitude about the importance she places on God- and she found herself falling short.With great honesty and courage, she set aside her judgements and got down on her knees.If I could have jumped through cyber-space, I would have thrown my arms around the author of the third e-mail and hugged her.Seriously, hugged her.And I'm not even a huggy person.But I would be today.Sisters, I do believe with all my heart that there is a place for Christian accountability. I believe it is biblical and necessary. However, making judgemental remarks- rolling our eyes- belittling someone we don't personally know or do life with in the real world- and sending hateful e-mails is not biblical or necessary. It's sin.It's totally missing the mark of what God has called his girls to be and to do.If the actions and attitudes of another person hurt our heart and rub our soul the wrong way, be it a neighbor or a woman on the cover of a tabloid, I pray we handle it with the grace and dignity Jesus enables us to have. "And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment," (Phil. 1:9).And may we always remember the person in question is loved by God. He may not love their actions and he most certainly doesn't love their sin. But the person, He loves. They are loved. She is Loved. Totally and immensely, unfathomably and remarkably, beautifully and abundantly loved. And that's all I have to say about that.The end.
I am praying for them. I wish they would not say "Our children are our first priority". I wish they would make their marriage their first priority. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I was sooooo hoping that they would announce that they were backing out of their contracts and committing themselves to fixing their marriage! I pray that the Lord will renew their desire for Him and for each other!