Sunday, May 3, 2009

The English Reformed Church


Today I spent a lot of time reflecting on my trip, savoring the memories of all the places I went and things I saw. One week ago today I attended and English-speaking church that was full of history : the English Reformed Church. It is the oldest continuously existing English congregation in the Netherlands. Vincent Van Gogh worshipped there and said, "Tomorrow morning I am going to the English Church; it lies there so peaceful in the evening in that silent Begijnhof among the thorn hedges, and it seem to say, In loco iste dabo pacem; In this place I shall give peace says the Lord. Amen, so be it."

The Begijnhof is similar to a convent or monastery. As Alice and I walked down a busy street, we came to the heavy wooden door of the Begijnhof. Upon entering, it is just as Van Gogh stated; it is a place of peace.

The pulpit consists of four panels carved from heavy oak. This panel depicts an angel blessing the Dutch coat-of-arms.

This panel shows the teaching role of the church.

The third and fourth panels illustrate the charitable and the social roles of the church.

This stained glass window depicts the pilgrims in prayer before leaving for the United States. Some of the Pilgrims worshipped at this church. In the 1920's a man from the United States, whose ancestors were Pilgrims, commissioned this picture.

Tomorrow, more information about this beautiful church and more pictures from Holland.

No comments: