Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday School Memories



On Thursday evening I received a most welcome phone call. Shannon Howard, a member of the church we attended in Mississippi, called and asked if I would be a speaker for their women's group. I can't find the words to express the "joy that floods my soul"! She asked if I would submit a little synopsis of what I would speak about. Below is the email that I sent her. I am humbled and honored by this request to speak. I have always had a heart's desire to have a public speaking ministry of some sort, but to qualify for many of the speaking cicuits, I need to have established myself for at least one year. I need to have documented places where I have spoken as well as references from those that have heard me speak. If you know of a group or an organization that may be looking for a speaker, please keep me in mind and contact me. Also, feel free to copy this post and share it with groups that may be looking for a speaker. I'm looking forward to see what God has in store!



My Walk With The Shepherd

As a child growing up in a Christian home, my parents made sure I faithfully attended church and Sunday School. Every Sunday I was expected to know the weekly Bible verse. A Saturday night ritual in our home was to quiz me on the verse. Very seldom did my father forget but if for some reason he did, he made certain to quiz me in the car on the way to church!


Once I was settled in class, the first thing my teacher did was have me recite my verse. I didn’t mind this at all! You see, if I said my verse correctly I received a "Little Card". This was a 1.5 inch little rectangular card on which a little picture and Bible verse were printed. Collect seven "Little Cards" and I could turn them in for a "Big Card"! "Big Cards" were great because I could save them and redeem them for prizes. When I was nine years old I made it my mission in life to collect as many "Big Cards" as I could in order to cash them in for a beautiful gold plated bracelet of the Ten Commandments! Why do I relate this story? Because on my "Big Cards" were always big pictures – much bigger than the microscopic ones that appeared on the "Little Cards" – and on the back of each card was printed a long section of Scripture. For some reason, I always ended up with the picture of the lost lamb and on the back of the card was the 23rd Psalm. So many of my "Big Cards" featured this picture that I truly believe this image has been permanently etched into my subconscious!


Now that I am an adult, I savor those memories of my days at home. And I especially love the image of my "Big Card". That is because I see so much of myself in that picture. I have walked with the Shepherd my whole life, but I have to admit that more than once Jesus has found me sniffing about where I shouldn’t be, and that is when He has faithfully propped me up on His shoulders of love and brought me back to safety. Sometimes I can visually see myself off, alone, far away from all the other sheep. I can almost see my Shepherd put His hands on His hips as He says, "Now where does she think she’s going?!"


I have been this journey with my Shepherd for over fifty years now. It has led me on paths where I have experienced breath-taking beauty. It has also led to places that were dark - places where the road was rocky and the scenery was barren. Out of this walk I have developed a study on Psalm 23. In it, I teach the lessons that I have learned from my many years of being a very stubborn sheep.

 How Does the Shepherd Meet My Physical Needs?
 How Does the Shepherd Meet My Emotional Needs?
 How Does the Shepherd Meet My Spiritual Needs?
 Is the Lord MY Shepherd?

No comments: