Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It's Official!!!

Today my new year began. I know, for the rest of you it began last Thursday, but for me it started today. Today I left the safe cocoon of my home, my warm little haven for the past two weeks, and ventured out into the world once again. As soon as I locked the door this morning, I instantly knew I had locked myself out of the house...I left my keys for car and home on my desk. I frantically pounded on the door and pumped the doorbell until a very sleepy David unlocked the door for me. After making a mad dash for the keys, I raced off to work...only to realize that I absent-mindedly got on the tollway...a road from which there is no exit for quite some time! By this point I have black and blue marks from kicking myself! OK, so I finally made it to my first student's home and successfully taught for three hours without any problems. Next, I went to the grocery store. My late class was canceled, so I thought I would surprise Bill with a nice warm meal. Normally I am not home until 7:30 and Bill usually ends up fixing something for me. As I stood in line, salivating over the groceries that would soon become a sumptuous surprise for my husband (oh, did I forget to mention I didn't have ANYTHING to eat all day - not one morsel - so maybe I was feverishly salivating by this point!), the clerk asked me to scan my card. No problem! Except when I went to pull out my card it WASN'T THERE!!!! Not only was my card missing, my whole entire wallet was missing!!! It was left on the desk at home - that same desk where I left my keys!! The clerk told me she could keep the groceries in the cooler until I came back to pay for them. No problem! I went home, found my wallet, took David to work, and returned to the grocery store. As soon as I got out of the car, there was a cloud burst - I'm talking torrential sheets of rain that came out of no where!! So much for my reentry into the world. Then tonight, after dinner, I took down the well-worn 2008 calendar and put up the brand new one for 2009. So now it's official...my new year has begun!

No comments: