Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dutch Cooking


Every third Sunday, our Shepherd group from church has a meal together. We have tried to think of various themes. Last month was "Mexican" and we all brought a different dish from a Spanish-speaking country. I bravely suggested that someday we should have a luncheon featuring dishes from our ancestors country of origin. So that's what we did today! We had quite a good turnout and a plethora of dishes from various parts of the world. My favorite country was Germany! It was represented by a German chocolate cake that was soooo delicious!! I brought Buttercake and Creamed cauliflower. Here are some pictures of my kitchen endeavors.


Bloemkool (Cauiflower with white sauce)
Boterkoek
The end results of my Dutch cooking adventure!

Earlier this week we had a little cold spell so I made some Dutch pea soup (snert). Either I am turning into my mother, or I am preparing for my trip to the Netherlands. My husband, Bill, says I'm just getting ready for what heaven will be like. He was born and raised in the Netherlands, so his idea of the "great heavenly banquet" is a bit askew!

Speaking of Holland, it has always been a dream of mine to go there. My room mate from college lives in Amsterdam and for years she has asked me to visit. Finally, I made plans to make a trip this spring. Now that Bill is without work, this trip is difficult for me to justify. Bill encourages me to go...what do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow I am impressed with your Dutch cooking!! I definately think you should still go to the Netherlands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luv, nancy

Henry said...

YOU WILL NEVER REGRET NOT GOING TO HOLLAND.IF YOU GO TO TRY TO GO THE END OF APRIL WHEN THEY CELEBRATE THE QUEENS DAY ON APRIL 30. IT's MUCH BETTER THAN THE 4th of JULY HERE and BE SURE TO EAT THEIR pannekoek and poffertjes.you probably arent crazu about eating raw fish but eating herring or smoked palling is also very good.Take home some dutch cheese and stroop waffles as well.SO JUST GO YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT AND WILL PROBABLY GO AGAIN AFTER THAT TIME AS WELL