Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Abandoning Jars

WHEW!!!! Giant sigh!!! The past week has been a whirlwind! Elise and I set off for Michigan last Thursday afternoon - after I taught and had an ear appointment - after Elise packed her car to the brim with ALL of her earthly belongings. We sang, we laughed, and then we collapsed! It all caught up with us - all the busyness, all the emotions - and we found day two of our trip to be quite difficult. We were exhausted! Our attempts to get back on the road by 6 a.m. was an epic failure. To make a long story short, we made it to Grand Rapids on Saturday afternoon. We don't even know what state we slept in the last night on the road. Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures and share a bit of our adventure.


While I was in G.R. my granddaughter asked why my blog had such a funny name. That answer would also turn into a long story, so let me just tell you all that I have been wrestling with the direction my blog should take. And with that wrestling, a desire is beginning to surface...a desire to perhaps change the name of the blog. A desire to perhaps only write devotionals. Don't know yet, but just want you to know that something is brewing...


When I try to think of new names for the blog, I keep coming back to my initials: JARS

The verse about "jars of clay" has always been a very special verse to me, but, of course, that name is taken by a popular Christian singing group. I tried to think of an acronym for JARS such as, Joyful Albeit Restless Spirit ( that's more honest that saying I have a joyful and rested spirit because I can be VERY rest-LESS!!! I think David was was definitely referring to me in Psalm 23..."He makes me to lie down"!!!!!!)

Okay, so I have said ALL of the above to lead into this absolutely beautiful piece written by a fellow Christian blogger. She captures the words of my heart! She says what I wish I could express. I hope you will read this devotion. If you do, you will understand me better, understand the struggles of my heart, understand my desire to abandon my "jar" on many different levels.


Maybe you could read what she writes and comment on your thoughts: do you see this blog going in another direction? Do you have any ideas for a new title? Any comments will be appreciated and helpful!


Click on this address to go to the devotional:




5 comments:

Karen said...

I, for one, would hate to see you give up your Blah Blah Blah because I'm not on Facebook or Skype or Twitter, etc. I need this connection to you. I love the JARS concept but not at the expense of the Blah!!!

nancy said...

Thats a hard one!!! I would miss the BLAH BLAH BLAH but would certainly continue to follow your blog if you renamed it! That was a good devotional and neat because of your initials JARS. You seem to prefer to write thought provoking things leaving us wondering (if our jar is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty). In that respect I think Joyce's Jars is more meaningful then you just blabbing on which the title BLAH BLAH BLAH sounds like. Make sense? The decision is yours and I will love whatever you do LOVE YOU MISS YOU CAN"T WAIT TO KISS YOU! NANCY

Alice said...

I haven't read the devotional. I love your initials and every symbolic thing allusion they make, but I too would miss the Blah of life. So, what about this alternative: why don't you write a devotional blog alongside the BlahBlahBlah blog of your life? LYLAS

Anonymous said...

DID YOU ABANDON YOUR JARS????? I MISS YOU AND YOUR BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! LOVE YOU AND HOPE ALL IS WELL ......THINK 4 MORE WEEKS TILL WE SAIL AWAY......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Anonymous said...

О! Sólo quiero decir lo que es un gran blog ha llegado hasta aquí! He estado alrededor durante bastante tiempo, pero finalmente decidió mostrar mi aprecio por vuestro trabajo! Pulgar hacia arriba, y mantenerlo en marcha!