Friday, August 20, 2010

Skeletons


Monday was the first day of my school schedule for the 2010 - 2011 school year. Everyday is a different schedule with different students. I have to be sure to write out what the day will hold, or I get way too confused about where I am supposed to be!


I have a delightful blend of students from Kindergarten to adults, and I love the variety. Switching gears from The Cat in the Hat to helping with literary analysis certainly keeps me on my toes!


My morning homeschool students are learning about the glorious way God has designed our bodies. We began our study with the human skeleton and learning the major bones. They took notes, made a macaroni skeleton, and finished the week with a kit that I purchased for them that required them to assemble a plastic skeleton.


I wanted them to do as much of the project by themselves that they could, so I pretended to be busy grading their homework, while secretly watching them try to figure out which bone went where.


It was a disaster!!! It turned out to be way too frustrating. Once the clavicle fell off for the 15th time, I called it quits. I put the skeleton in a ziplock and asked Chris to take it home and see if his dad could help him put it together.


Around 7:30 in the evening, I received a text from Chris's mom. She said that the skeleton had turned into a family project. Haley, her daughter, was fascinated by the ribs. She counted all the ribs on the skeleton. She then proceeded to count each one of Chris' s ribs. She then assured her big brother that he had the correct number of ribs - not one was missing! To which Chris responded (in typical Chris fashion!), "Well, DUH!!!! God isn't going to leave out any ribs!"


And so my days proceed....from ribs, to objects of prepositions, to phonics, to mastering two digit multiplication. Life is good!

No comments: