Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Most Unexpected Entry

Here is a sentence I NEVER thought I would write: I just got finished working in the yard.



As a child, I remember my sister Nancy always mowing our little lawn on Larkspur Avenue. When we moved to a larger home with a sizable yard, my Dad did the work. Well, most of it. But he had beautiful rose bushes, and the most interesting flowering trees. At our cottage is where my Dad really went above and beyond the expectations of what most people would consider a yard for a cottage to be like. It was my job to pick up the sticks in the yard during the week so that when he drove up for the weekend, he was able to mow the lawn. I got a penny per stick! We had a large, circular driveway that was outlined by cinder blocks. Every block had three holes and into each hole he planted annuals. Sometimes he planted marigolds and sometimes he planted petunias. We had the best looking yard on the lake!


Unfortunately, I did not inherit my Dad's green thumb. Florists and gardeners would probably ban me from their shops if they knew the devastating effect I seem to have on anything alive and green.


Well, for sometime now, I have been toying with the idea of redoing the little front entrance to our house. And today was the day! I took out the dying azaleas and replaced them with gardenias. I put the azalea bushes in pots and am going to try to baby them back to health. If they survive, I would like to replant them along the side of our house.


Here are a few pictures of the fruits of my labor. I thought I better take pictures today, because there is no telling how those little flowers are going to look next week at this time! Not too bad for a beginner, eh? Oh, and I was so proud of the fact that I went all by myself to some way-out-in-the-country place to hand pick the pavers! I had to put them on a cart, get the cart weighed and then put them all in my trunk. I had so much fun there that I want to go back and get more pavers for around the base of our trees.







Bella checking out this most historic occasion.
She can't believe her eyes!




My next wish is to get a bench to put on the front "porch" and maybe some planters! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB!!
Wow I'm so proud of You!! I use to really enjoy working in the yard and I wish I could have helped you but it looks like you did an awesome job without my help!! I sometimes miss the good ol days but being in the condo I don't have to worry about it and that's kinda nice too. I can plant some flowers. Just enough to keep my green thumb green Keep us informed on how all the flowers are doing ok? Love you!! Nancy Kaye

Alice said...

It looks wonderful! Good for you girl! You were so fortunate to have such a good-example-dad! You should be proud of yourself. Keep us picture-posted as your garden grows, Mary-quite-contrary!