Monday, April 13, 2009

Lima Beans In Paper Cups


How many of you have ever done this project...or have had kids that have had this project? I was reminded of planting seeds when I taught this week. My student, Valeria, proudly came home with her little paper cup which housed a developing lima bean. It reminded me of a favorite story of mine...a story that seems particularly good to remember as we celebrate our Savior's resurrection.

Someone once said, "The only difference between burying and planting is the expectation." When Valeria planted her lima bean, I'm sure she fully expected it to sprout. I remember planting a seed in a paper cup with one of our children and encouraging the little seed on a daily basis. We would faithfully stand over the paper cup and shout, "Come on little seed! You can do it!" (What we don't do for our kids!) We fully expected that seed to grow when we planted it.

We have also buried things with our kids. When our cat, Max, that we had forever, finally breathed his last, we had quite an elaborate ceremony in our backyard when we buried our beloved pet. When we buried Max, none of us expected him to come back. None of us (that I know of) stood over the burial spot and said, "Come on, Max. You can do it! Come back!" Nope, we knew he was gone and that we would never see him again.

That is what's meant by the difference between burying something and planting something...it's the expectation.

And that's why the resurrection gives hope to the believer. Because of Christ, we have the expectation - no, the certainty! - that we will rise again. And so will our loved ones, if they are believers. Death can't keep us in the ground.

My daughter, Laura took a test on Facebook. It was meant to find out what theologian she was...she turned out to be Martin Luther! She was soooo disappointed! She wanted to be John Calvin (like her mother!). But I like Martin Luther. I especially like what he said about the resurrection. He said that everyday is a resurrection day...to the believer, everyday is Easter. I like that. That gives me hope!

No comments: