Saturday, February 7, 2009

What Am I Doing Here?

Some people have wondered why I keep returning to Chicago. I must admit, as difficult as it was for me to get here on Thursday, I started asking myself that same question!
The reason I return to Trinity is because I am on the Alumni Board of Directors. We have meetings twice a year. Our main focus is to maintain alumni relationships. Yesterday we had a meeting-filled day as we planned for the college's 50th anniversary celebration, reviewed applications for the Alumni Scholarships, thought of ways promote alumni activities, etc.
As I rode to the college on Friday morning, I caught myself staring at the snow piled up on the side of the road. My mind went back to 1970. I distinctly remember calling my Mom as I experienced my first winter away from home. I remember how I bemoaned the fact that everything in Chicago seemed "so dirty". Mom, even the snow here is dirty! Not much has changed in that regard. But despite dirty snow, I just can't seem to get enough of this city.
As I left the college, my mind was so tired but my heart was filled with thankfulness. Trinity will always have a special place in my heart. The campus was bustling on Friday with high school seniors and their parents. How I wished I could have spent time with each of them and shared with them what a truly special place this is.
Trinity taught me so much. This was where I learned about God's sovereignty. I was reminded in my classes that if there was one tiny speck in an atom that God did not control, then He would cease to be God...that's how sovereign God is! I was taught to sift through the complexities of life and always to use God's word as my plumb line. It was here that a young 17 year old girl learned the difference between being "re-formed" and being "reformed". It was here that I was encouraged to read Calvin and Kuyper and remember to look at the world through the lens of scripture.
One day, back in Mississippi, I returned to our lot. I've shared here before that whenever I returned, I would find new things. It was obvious that strangers were coming into our neighborhood and pillaging through the rubble in hopes of finding some unnoticed treasure. On this particular day I noticed a water-stained spiral notebook next to what remained of our mailbox. It was my Philosophy 101 notebook from my freshman year at Trinity. It wasn't in such great shape, but I could still make out those familiar words from Dr. Seerveld: What is your World and Life view?
I am thankful the God directed my life's path to Trinity. I am thankful for my professors who tirelessly worked to glorify God in every single class. I am thankful that my Mom and Dad made it possible for me to attend...even though I knew they would have liked it better if I was closer to home!

No comments: