Sunday, February 15, 2009

Weekend Recap


As I reported yesterday, I'm sick. Don't know what it is exactly, but I have a sore, sore throat, a cough, and am basically pretty tired. I'm thankful the headache is finally gone. Bill just left for church and I've been up since forever and have reached my fill of worship services on TV. Today will be a quiet day, and I think I'll be in bed for most of it.

Despite not feeling well, I had a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend. On Friday, my friend and English student, Ligia, invited me to a genuine Mexican meal. She fixed Pollo con mole and it was delicious. (No, Nancy, that's NOT mole as in the rodent!) She then presented me with a gift. Ligia made me a beautiful cross-stitch of my name. She told me that someday soon she will return to Mexico, so she wanted something special that would remind me of our special times together! I cried! When she greeted me at the door, she had a sparkle in her eye when I told her she smelled good. She used to always comment on how much she liked my perfume, so I gave her some for Christmas and she was wearing it. But that perfume has a story of its own...I bought her the perfume in November...it was wrapped and ready to give to her way before Christmas. One day, however, when we were shopping, I took her to the counter for her to smell some of the other fragrances, and there was one that she absolutely LOVED. It reminded her of her grandmother, whom she dearly loves. It smelled like the orange blossoms in her grandmother's yard and the smell conjured up many good childhood memories. Well, you already know what I did next...I returned to the store and exchanged what I bought earlier for the other scent. Ok, that being explained, it brings us up to Ligia and the sparkle in her eye. With broken English she told me how much she liked the perfume I gave her, but she returned it(!!!!) and exchanged it for what I bought her. She said she wanted something that would remind her of her teacher. Isn't that just so sweet! I'm telling you, I have the greatest job in the world.


Then, I came home and baked a cake for a get-together with friends from church. I made something that I hadn't made in years...Texas sheet cake. Now that I actually live in Texas, I thought it would be a good idea to resurrect that recipe.







When we arrived and I placed the cake on the table, one guy asked, "Is that Mississippi Mud?" The two cakes do look a lot alike...I just thought it was funny that I would make Texas Sheet cake in MS. and MS Mud cake in Texas. Is there a recipe that starts with "Michigan" that I can start baking?

Later that evening my husband presented me with a beautiful bouquet of roses and the most lovely card he has ever given me. Thank you, honey! I know everyone thinks their husband is the best, but mine really is the greatest!

And speaking of Bill, he went to the dealer to have them check out his breaks and they are totally destroyed...THE WHOLE BREAK SYSTEM!!! I'm so very thankful this wasn't discovered in some catastrophic way as he was traveling to work! The mechanic said someone put in something other than break fluid. A month ago, during an oil change, he was told he needed break fluid, so he told them to go ahead. Apparently, it wasn't the right stuff and now we are faced with a HUGE bill.

That's it...time to get back in bed...HUGS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad you love your job!! That was so neat that Ligia Wanted to smell like you!! You do always smell sooooo good! I KNOW THAT MOLE IS NOT THE RODENT JOYCE!!!!! I know a mole is a beauty mark!!!!! How wonderful to get such a gorgeous boquet of roses from your hubby!I got zipoo! LUV YOU MUCHO!!!!!!!!

Henry said...

reading your blog really makes me smile i enjoy your wording and your exhuberance as you continue on with your pace.Reading your mishap with the car if you have full coverage on your car vandalism or someone putting something else in your brake system is covered under your comprehensive coverage of your auto insurance policy.i know since i was an insurance adjuster for AAA for 30 years.any question reg this please email me.Nancy has my email address.Keep smiling there is a reason for everything