Sunday, February 8, 2009

Home, Sweet Home

I agree with with my ruby-slippered friend Dorothy - there's no place like home! I made blunder after blunder the whole weekend. Today when I checked in, once again I was asked for my ID and once again I could not find it! Not for the life of me! Finally I checked some obscure place in my purse, and there it was. Why it was there, I haven't a clue. I'm just thankful I found it and could head home. But not before going through security. I kept beeping. Took off my belt - I beeped. Took off my watch - I beeped. Took off my ear rings - I beeped. Finally, they pulled me off to the side and I had a friendly "scan" with a wand. URG! The whole time this little girl gawked at me with open mouth as if she was seeing her very first evil type person! I felt so humiliated! It turned out to be my underwire! My husband's comment when I told him? "Well, at least no you know what not to wear next time you travel!" Yeah, right! Like that's ever going to happen!! And the grand finale? I stood at the conveyor belt for 20 minutes and never saw my luggage, only to realize I was standing in the area for Jet Blue - I flew Southwest! Oh man, am I getting too old to travel?
One little story to tell you. I stayed in this great little hotel that I've never heard of - City Quarters. It's really a private hotel for business execs, but I got it through Priceline. It was an old building from the 1920's and had some beautiful architectural features. The little guy at the front desk took a liking to me and gave me a free upgrade, so I had a really nice little suite. It was within walking distance of all the fun things, and Chicago had unseasonably mild weather over the weekend, so I did a lot of walking. Yesterday I was having breakfast in a little cafe, and did some intent people-watching. I just LOVE to do that! Anyway, I saw a lady with a group of about 8 high school girls. Before they ate, I noticed that she said quite a lengthy prayer. It warmed my heart! Before I left, I walked over to their table and told them how they had been a blessing to me as I observed their time of prayer. They were in town from Iowa and were visiting Moody Bible College. They had just come back from hearing Franklin Graham speak. Ok, time to put away my stuff and get ready for the week ahead.

No comments: