Saturday, October 10, 2009

Jubilee!

As I have mentioned often in previous posts, this year Trinity Christian College turned 50 years old! Last weekend I was privileged to be able to attend the festivities. Here are just a few of the fun highlights of the weekend:

Thursday, October 1
I flew into Midway Airport at 10:20. My dear husband drove me across town while it was still dark so that I would be at the aiport by 5:30. Thank you, dear Bill! After landing, I went directly to the Hilton. I was certain that I would have to kill several hours before I would be able to check into a room. but the nice lady at the desk let me check in right away! I was exhausted and dove right into the bed. At 1:15, my college room mate, Alice van der Hoek, called me. She was downstairs and wondered what room I was in...that's when the fun began!!!

Alice and I just saw each other this spring when I stayed with her in Holland...but I can't get enough of this special woman!!! She keeps me in a perpetual laugh. My ribs ached when the weekend was over, just because we laughed so much! If she was always around, I swear I would have abs!

The phone rang again, and this time it was Elise. She drove over when her classes were done and delivered her car for us to use while we were in town. I couldn't believe I was introducing my college buddy to my baby girl! It was so much fun hearing her impressions of Trinity. She also told us about her boyfriend, Tommy. Alice was in awe of all the things Elise shared with us...she kept saying, "My girls would NEVER do that!" Truth be told, I know there are A LOT of things Elise doesn't share with me, but I'm happy and thankful for the stories I do get to hear about!

Phone rang again and this time it was a nother college friend, Daryce Hoff. Daryce lives in the Chicago area and teaches music. She came to the room and kicked the laughing up to an even higher level. We went out to eat at an excellent Chinese, Japanese, Thai place and all shared our food with each other. We dropped Elise off at campus and called it a day.

Friday, October 2

Alice and I met Elise for chapel. Rev. Arthur De Kruyter, one of the founding fathers, was the speaker. He shared fascinating stories about the early stages of Trinity, back when he was on the study committee to research if it was even feasible to have a college in the Chicago land area. Many, many people were against the college, but each each apposition that was raised was overcome and it is an amazing journey that the college went through in those early days...a story that has God's fingerprints all over it!

After chapel, I had an Alumni Board Meeting. I met up with Alice at 3:30, we got ready for the celebration at Navy Pier and headed downtown by 4:30. All of Chicago was on pins and needles that day, waiting to find if they would have the honor of being the host city for the Olympics. It was a big disappointment to the people of Chicago, but I personally, was thankful they didn't get it because if they had, everyone and their brother would have been heading into the city the same time we were, and we probably would have missed much of the party. We tried our best to get their by 5:30 so that we could be there on time to practice with the choir. We were the last ones on stage, but we made it!

After rehearsing, we went upstairs and mingled. It was fun to see old pictures of students over the decades. It brought back a lot of fun memories as well as names and faces that we hadn't seen or talked about/with in over 30 years!

The Grand Ball room was magical...and so was reconnecting with many old friends and professors. At the end, we had so much fun dancing with music through the decades. After our trip home, we had a drink in the lounge that just about put us under the table! We were exhausted!!! Too tired, in fact, to drive Elise back to Trinity, so she slept with us that night.

More tomorrow...until then, here are a few more pictures...

Dancing the night away...Elise is behind the woman in the gray dress
(So am I, but you can't see me!)

Some of the former presidents of the college
Friends from the class of '74 - Steve Bird and Steve Huizenga
Dr. Arthur De Kruyter

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Good morning dear sister!! It is 5:45 am before work and here I am checking your Blog! It was so fun hearing about your awesome weekend and I can't wait to hear the rest!! I went on the Trinity website to see more pic's too! Wow it didn't take Elise long to find a boyfriend!! She must take after us!? ha ha! Later< xo Love you, nancy