Tuesday, October 27, 2009

God's love for his children...it boggles my mind. But even though I don't understand the depth of His love, much less the "why" of His love, knowing the love He has for me and that it is based on fact not feelings, gives me a depth of security that no one or no situation can take away.
Whew! That was a pretty long sentence! I think my writing must be getting too much influence from the Apostle Paul...I mean, seriously,have you ever really looked at that guy's sentence structure?
I digress...
When I returned to Michigan after living in Chicago for several years, I returned as a very confused young woman. The "boyfriend thing" that I wrote about a few days ago was a difficult time in my life. I returned to Grand Rapids feeling very lonely, very shaken, very uncertain about my future. It seems funny now to think that at such a young age I felt so "washed up", but that is truly how I felt.
Enter, John DeVries.. He was the pastor at my parents church when I returned home to live. I first met him in Chicago, where I had his oldest daughter in my class. John had a real love for words and poetry. I'll never forget the first time he recited all the words to this old hymn:

The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.

Refrain:
Oh, love of God, how rich and pure!How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure—The saints’ and angels’ song.

When hoary time shall pass away,
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall,
When men who here refuse to pray,
On rocks and hills and mountains call,
God’s love so sure, shall still endure,
All measureless and strong;
Redeeming grace to Adam’s race—The saints’ and angels’ song.

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade;
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry;
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

Often, John would use the last verse of the song as a prayer that concluded the worship service. As I sat under his teaching, as the thought of God's love for me began to warm and soften my cold, confused heart, my life slowly changed and took on a new direction.
Today I received the "ditty" below in an email from my sister Nancy. It's just a little part from a very long email, but this is the part that touched me...that reminded me again - and in a new way - the love that God has for His children. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did...
Is it possible for someone to give 101%??? Think about this:
If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O- R- K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

And:

K-N-O-W-L-E- D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+ 5 = 96%

But:

A-T-T-I-T-U- D-E

1+20+20+9+20+ 21+4+5 = 100%

Now, look how far the love of God will take you:


L-O-V-E-O-F- G-O-D
12+15+22+5+15+ 6+7+15+4 = 101%


Therefore, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that:

While Hard Work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will
get you there, it's the Love of God that will put you over the top!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey baby sister,
You are so wise for a baby sister! I can learn a lot from you! I continue to enjoy reading your great blah,blah,blah,so much! The older I get the more I am amazed and thankful that we were born in a loving Christian family. I'm glad you enjoyed that e-mail it really was thought provoking!Isn't it wonderful that we really don't have anything to fear because we are always in God's love!! Love you baby sister!! Your BIG SISTER Nancy Kaye

robert said...

It was your reference to Frederich Lehman's gospel song, "The Love of God," that caught my eye this morning. (Today is the 142nd anniversary of his birth.) But I enjoyed the novel mathematices lesson!

If you love the old hymns, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Worwise Hymns. God bless.