Saturday, February 5, 2011

In Memory

On January 7, I wrote a good bye to our sweet dog, Gracie. I know many people can't relate to the loss of a family pet. "They're just dogs!" is what I'm sure many people think. For us, Gracie was a part of our family and she taught us so much about unconditional love. She was always there to greet each one of us whenever we came home...always so happy to see us!

Well, over the last few weeks, we have received a few things in memory of Gracie. The first thing to come was a card. It was signed by all of the staff of the Vet Hospital. And not just their signatures...most of them wrote a special little note to us about our sweet dog. They also enclosed a poem.

Then a package arrived. I carefully unwrapped the delicate piece from the protection of bubble wrap. The clinic sent us a plaster impression of Gracie's paw. It is a precious keepsake.

And then yesterday, another card came. This one stated that our vet made a contribution in Gracie's name. It is to a Christian Vet Society that provides medical help to animals throughout the world. That just made my heart smile. It's so Gracie...that gesture just captured the essence of the type of dog she was...she was always so ready and willing to give of herself. I like the thought of knowing that in some small way, she is still reaching out and helping others through this ministry.

Some people may read this and think all of this talk about a dog is rather "stupid". I disagree. I'm thankful to a God that created such a vast array of animals. And I'm thankful for the one He sent our way. And I'm thankful for all the love she poured into us for so many years.

No comments: