Thursday, February 24, 2011

Choosing To Believe

I have had a week full of welcome and unwelcome surprises.



This is a picture of my MOST welcome surprise!!! This is Jean and her beautiful family. Jean was a student from my very first class that I ever taught in my whole life...I was squeaky clean out of college when I taught her in 6th grade. I also had her for 7th grade and 8th grade...poor child!!! That class was and forever will be very near and dear to my heart. We had so much fun together! When they were in 8th grade, our big goal for the year was to have a class play. This was uncharted territory for Calvin Christian, but I think we blazed a pretty awesome trail! We performed "Cheaper By the Dozen" and each and every student contributed and helped in some way. Jean was the mother of the whole brood and carried off her part with a confident spirit that belied her tender age of thirteen.

Jean and I have kept in touch over the years, but imagine how high my heart leapt when she told me she was coming to Houston!!! We had dinner together on Monday night, and closed the place down! It was thrilling to listen to her life story and marvel at God's faithfulness and unfailing love. Jean now lives in Tuscon with her five (!) children, and I can't believe her oldest is in her first year of college. It was wonderful to see her again after 30 some years!

Because of my late evening out on Monday, I wasn't quite ready to face Tuesday. I was thinking up all sorts of excuses in my head of ways I could get out of working. But, I pushed the thoughts aside and valiantly, albeit sleepily, ventured out to conquer the day. Despite my contrary spirit, I was happily blessed by each student. I just love those little "joys" in life that God sprinkles unexpectedly in my path!

My first "joy" came from my Arabian student. She joyfully told me how she talked on the phone to her parents and told them all about me. She told them I was very beautiful (!) and that I was very nice. My travel time to my next student is about 30 minutes. During my drive time, I thanked God for His blessing of encouragement. I marveled at how He allowed me to teach someone from Saudi Arabia. I also found myself amazed that my name was spoken in Arabic and that I was described to her family so far away. Simply amazing!

My next student is new to me. We have only had a few lessons. She is from Columbia and is jaw-dropping gorgeous! She has two precious sons who are 4 and 5 years old. At these early stages of their time in the U.S., they are still figuring a lot of things out. During these weeks, I am more than just a language teacher. I help them walk through the puzzling maze of adjustment. I grocery shop with them, help them find different stores or shopping centers. I have even gone to the doctor with them! Well, Tuesday was one of those special "new moments" with Caterine. Her husband is out of town and it was her oldest son's birthday. She is used to having many friends and family members to share "fiestas" with...but here, in this new country, it would only be the three of them - not even her husband would be able to celebrate. In an almost tearful question, she asked if I could sing with them, eat cake, and open the presents. Those Latinos sure know how to party! I LOVE the way they celebrate! Even the way they sing "Happy Birthday" is much more exciting than our version. I was so thankful I could be there and help them ease through a day that might have seemed a little lonely.

Okay, so those were my welcome events...yesterday held the unwelcome events. I won't linger long on these. Suffice it to say that yesterday gave new meaning to the saying, "When it rains, it pours"! The final jolt came when I got a call from Bill telling me his radiator was shot and he was stuck on the highway. After all the fun of finding a tow truck and hearing the total cost to repair the car, we drove home exhausted and in silence. As we turned into our subdivision, Bill said, "I assume this is blog worthy?" Yes, dear, it is! What a day!

Finally I was able to do a little quiet time reading. I was encouraged by this question: Is Romans 8:28 still in the Bible? Good question to ponder. Helps me keep things in perspective!

Max Lucado reminds us, “It all works out in the end. If it hasn’t worked out yet, then it’s not the end.” So...it isn't the end...except for when it comes to this post!

Thank you, Father, for the challenges as well as the joys that You send. Both are allowed by You and both will shape my character. My prayer is that I will always remember that I am Your child. Forgive me for the many times I act more like an orphan!



1 comment:

nancy said...

Love the Quoate!!!!! " it all works out in the end and if it hasn't worked out yet it's not the end" What a great thing to remember!! Thanks for sharing another wonderful Blog!! What a wonderful time you must have had with Jean!!! I miss you so! Sorry we can't get Skype to work yet but we'll keep trying!! Love you so much Hugs xoxxoxoxoxo nancy