Saturday, December 12, 2009

Just When I Thought I Was Out Of Ideas...


Have you noticed it too? I just don't write as frequently these days. There are many reasons why, one of them being the fact that nothing too unusual has happened. Until today...

Men might not "get" this post, so you men out there might want to leave now.

I have very dark brown hair. I have since the day I was born! Nowadays, however, the dark brown is being run out of town and and the grays are taking over. Actually, the gray hair has been visible since I was in my 20's. (Laura, do you remember helping me look for the gray hairs on our trip to Washington D.C.?)

Okay, with that little piece of background information, our story will proceed...

The past few years I've been trying to figure out how to make this dark to light transition a little easier on myself. First, I tried giving in and letting the gray take over. I looked and felt sort of "washed out" (aka made me look old and pale and anemic!) and "washed up" (aka made me feel like I was traveling at top speed over-the-hill and had no breaks!)

Next, I added highlights. This went well. The highlights helped the gray less noticeable. The bad side was that highlights can get expensive. So, in an effort to save money, I gave up highlights and colored my own hair. That's where I am right now. The problem is, my hair is WAY too dark! I buy the box that says, "Light Brown" and end up somewhere between "Way Too Dark For Your Age, Sista'!" and "Who In The World Do You Think You're Foolin'?".

Another problem with being so dark is that the grays are much more visible because of the contrast. This means I have to dab a little color on my roots quite often. I've also been experimenting with this whole root thing...trying everything from "Just For Roots" to mascara. The other day, I was in a beauty outlet store, and I happened upon something new...spray color in a can. I tried it in the store and the results were, well... miraculous! This stuff was amazing!!! Just what I have been looking for, so I bought it and had a smile on my face all the way home. No more ugly roots! From now on , all I have to do is spray them away!

Today I woke up and began my morning ritual of getting presentable for the day. Oh, no...ROOTS!!! Never fear, said I. I now have my handy-dandy miracle spray. One spray, and the problem was gone!

So, I went on with making the bed, eating breakfast, etc. One quick, final look in the mirror before I leave, and...hey, wait a minute. There's something on my face. I smile. I must have gotten a little "spray" on my face...nothing a little moist towel can't fix..and I'm out the door.

So, I teach for the next three hours, hop in the car, happen to catch a glance at my face in the rear view mirror and...WHOA!!! WHAT HAPPENED???? I have dark brown streaks coming down my face! On my nose, on my ears, all over my neck. How am I supposed to get this stuff off? Why didn't anyone tell me I was turning colors? Where are all the napkins I so faithfully keep in the car in case of emergencies?

I had another class to teach in 10 minutes. He's in high school. Hopefully he won't notice, and if he does notice, hopefully he won't care. After spending 90 minutes teaching about the periodic chart and chemical equations, I raced out of his house to the safety of my car. I looked in the mirror to assess any new damage. It looked passable. Until I held up my bangs!!! It looked like I had a good three years worth of mold growing on my forehead. How ironic, I thought. I just was teaching about chemicals, and here I was with some strange chemical reaction happening all over my head!

I raced home, determined to wash my face before my next teaching assignment! Finally made it to the safety and security of my own home, only to discover that there was brown spray all over my white counter top and sink! Urgh!

When I was all done with my workday, I was determined to take a shower, wash away all the mess on my head, and thoroughly clean the bathroom sink and counter. Ahhh...all clean again. My last laugh came when I put on my pjs. You guessed it...a nice ring of brown all aver the neckline. Needless to say, my "Miracle Spray" is going back to the store ASAP!


1 comment:

Nancy said...

You made me laugh out loud!!!! I'm glad I don't have any grays!! (lol) I had a new experience this week too!! I bought some expensive mascara at Sephora, wore it to work on Thursday and it started burning about mid morning., by the time I went home I could hardly keep my eyes open!! They just felt awful!! Alergic reaction I guess. Hope to get my money back!! What we women don't go thru to try to look good! I think we're too vain!! Looking forward to seeing you real soon!!HUGS and LOVE, Nancy Kaye