Monday, December 7, 2009

Jesus, I Am Resting

Last night in church, we had a mini hymn sing. Three people got to choose a favorite hymn to sing. The couple in front of us were selected...they asked to sing #139. Then I saw the wife tell her husband, "I don't even know this song! Oh well, we can ask for ours another time."I wanted to shout out, "NO! This isn't a mistake! This is MY song! I LOVE this song!!!"

There are two melodies to the song, but the words are the same in each version. I remember singing this song CONSTANTLY in my head the week my father was slowly transitioning from this world to the next. So last night we sang the song. And the words of the third verse seemed to come alive. So often I look for my joy to come from "things". My heart's desire is to find my joy in the fullness and the deepness and the richness of God's love. I want to see Him as the Lover of my soul! I want to be passionate about HIM! These lyrics say it best...
Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus
I behold Thee as Thou art
And Thy love, so pure so changeless, satisfies my heart.
Satisfies its deepest longings, meets, supplies its every need
Compasseth me round with blessings...Thine is love indeed!

I hope the couple that "accidentally" selected this song last night ended up enjoying it as much as I did (d0!).


No comments: