Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Shack



Have you read this book? If you have, I would be interested in hearing your comments about your experience with Mack and Papa. I had heard so many people give the story glowing reports...words like, "This book changed my life!", and "I will NEVER look at the Trinity in the same way!", or "I couldn't put it down!"

Needless to say, comments like these piqued my curiosity! The clincher came when Nancy and I returned from Chicago, only to find that even our Mother (!) had read this best-seller!! Nancy and I both bought the book before our trip. We even discussed how we would read the book to each other in the car. Well, of course that idea never took root. I mean, who has time to read when there are activities like these to keep you busy?



Finally, I did find the time to read the book. In all honesty, I didn't like it. The basic theme interested me. The author seeks to bring a novel perspective to the age-old question of where is God when my life is falling apart? Haven't we all tried to find some type of satisfying answer to that question?
Not that long ago another man tried to answer that question and he, too, ended up with a best-seller on his hands. The book was Why Bad Things Happen To Good People. The conclusion that the author, Rabbi Kuschner (I think that was his name) reached was that God is limited. There are simply some things that are out of God's control. That book was easy to shoot holes through. I mean, doesn't it make sense that if God is not sovereign over all things, then He ceases to be God?
My advice is to read the book. Enjoy the book. Discuss the book. But by all means, look at the book "through the lens of Scripture". Ask yourself if this book agrees with the way God has revealed Himself to us through His Word.
And if you are interested in this topic, I would recommend reading Suffering and the Sovereignty of God by John Piper and Justin Taylor as well as Trusting God - Even When Life Hurts by Jerry Bridges. Both of these books made me wrestle and marvel at God's infinite love, wisdom, and sovereignty. I can't say that about The Shack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I started reading the shack on the way home from our vacation, but haven't had time to sit and read since we got back. I better make time and see if I agree with you!
What funny pictures!! Who are those people??? Mucho Luvo