Saturday, November 28, 2009

More Unexpected Family Time

Remember how much fun it was to have a kaleidoscope?

Elise left on Sunday, and on Monday morning I had the distinct privilege of driving my husband to the hospital. It was "Colonoscopy Time!!!" Those words bring joy to all of us over 50, don't they? (Elise kept calling it a "Kaleidoscope". Hence, the picture!)

If you have never had the thrill of having someone check your colon, you've GOT to read Dave Berry's account of this procedure. Cut and paste this address...it is hilarious!!! http://www.scribd.com/doc/4895047/My-Colonoscopy-by-Dave-Barry

I believe the last time Bill had this done, the kids were only about 5 and 9 years old. We were waiting for Bill to come home from work. We never heard from him. This was before we had cell phones, so I had no way of calling him. After several hours of waiting, I called the police to see if there had been any local accidents. They told me to call the hospital. Sure enough, there he was. He was very sick and they had him in the ER. Apparently someone had found him passed out in a parking lot. He had gone inside to pay a bill, but never made it back to his car...he just collapsed. The good Samaritan that found Bill called for an ambulance.

The kids and I piled into the car and made it to the hospital. Bill had been taking the "special" drink you must take before a colonoscopy, and I guess he just couldn't take it anymore!!!

That procedure was also scheduled during the week of Thanksgiving except that year he had to spend the holiday in the hospital getting all kinds of tests.

Thankfully, this time things went MUCH better. He was given pills to take this time around to prevent any symptoms like he had the last time.

Bill never ceases to boggle my mind. So, there we were, he was in his hospital gown, attached to an IV and I was holding his hand through the bars of his hospital bed. And what did he talk about??? The director of his latest CD!

You know that CD I just bought? Yes. Well, the director's name is Ashkenaz! Does that ring a bell? No. In Genesis 10 he is listed as one of the grandsons of Japheth, the son of Noah. Isn't that amazing how some of these ancient names still exist today? Yes, dear! (I was seriously wondering what they put in his IV drip!!) But sure enough, I looked it up...the name is there in Genesis 10!! My husband...what a guy!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Elise told us about Bill's kaleidescope. hehehe I like the new photo of you!!
Luvya..Kare