Saturday, November 7, 2009

BIG Mistake!

Mistakes...we all make 'em! I never knew that there was a whole website about mistakes that bakerys have made with cake orders. Who knew? This site now has a cult-like following, has spawned a book, and even makes the rounds on the talking circuit! Hey, when is it MY turn?
(Oops! I hate it when my "thought bubbles" pop up and you can read my private thoughts!!!)

Here are just a few of the funny, whacky ways cakes taken a different "twist"....

I'm sure they picked this up and thought, "Pretty cake, love the color, BUT WHO IS LAVENDER!!!"

Okay, who are these people and how in the world do they get a job???

I'm guessing this was a cake for a graduate going to C N U

Too funny!

Aren't those mistakes a hoot? Then why isn't it so funny when the recipient of a mistake is ME???

Yesterday was pay day. I only had to work in the morning, so as I was driving home, I called the salon I always go to to see if I could come in for a quick haircut. Now, I knew my stylist was pregnant, but she was due in December. Imagine my surprise when they told me she had her baby early...VERY early! Okay, no problem, I'll check with a new salon that I've been wanting to try. Yeah!! They can take me at 3:00!

I arrive and I am greeted by these words: "Oh, I'm SO sorry! I accidentally booked you with someone that is not working today. But our owner, Gilda, is going to fit you in. Is that Ok?"

"Sure, no problem" said the innocent lamb that has no idea what is about to happen! So, Gilda starts looking at my hair and I start to feel very adventurous! "How about a new color?" I ask. I've been doing my own color for awhile and decide to try a few highlights again. "No problem!" say Gilda. She suggests carmel highlights because my hair is so dark. Hey, anything that is named after a food is ok in my book! She mixes the color, adds the foils (that always make you look like an alien capable of picking up signals from Mars), washes my hair, cuts my hair, and blows it dry. Houston! WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

I start to see the carmel. It looks more like orange! Another food, I know, but I would prefer a carmel over an orange. I start to panic. Gilda starts to panic. Not because of the orange, but because she is now so backed up that she has three people in line waiting on her for their appointments! So what does she do? She has me walk through the salon with my half wet/half dry hair that looks like the next cover of Hair Gone Wild.

I'm am now placed in the competent, but puzzled hands of "Sammy". Sammy has me sit and wait while he finishes up his client. Time passes...and passes. Suddenly I am taken over by some evil woman inside me (hey, maybe those foils really do pick up signals from outer space!!) and I say to Sammy, "I look like cr%*!!! And now I've been patiently waiting for over an hour for you and you ignore me and keep moving on to the next client. Tell me what's going on!!"

I am obviously WAY too much for poor little Sammy to handle, so he passes me off to another person. She says she will just throw in a few more highlights and she trots off to the back room before I can open my mouth. When she comes back, I ask her what color THESE highlights will be and she looks at me like, "Lady, I'm doing you a BIG favor, so zip it and let me do my job!!"

But no, I can't zip it! I feel empowered. I feel strong and brave and courageous! And I open my mouth and...begin to cry! Yup! That's what we empowered women do! (And Sammy is looking at me like he is SO relieved that I am no longer his problem!!)

The woman says, "Oh what beautiful eyes you have! When you cry they really turn blue! Let's just cover up the oran...I mean, the highlights...and go back to dark brown. I mean, it is Fall, you don't want highlights in the Fall! And the brown will really bring out those eyes!" I'm guessing this is hairdresser code for, "Let's get her out of here as SOON as possible!"

She covers the orange, tries to finish the haircut and sends me off. When I go to the front to pay, Gilda apologizes and gives me a gift certificate for a free second visit...yeah, like that's ever going to happen anytime time soon! And that was my Friday. How was yours???

4 comments:

Elise said...

This reminds me of the time you visited me in Mobile and I had gotten my hair colored by Melissa - bad idea!
Love you,
Elise

Alice said...

You are such a terrific writer! Loved reading this story eventhough I really felt bad about your experience. I just so happen to have cut my own hair - again- yesterday since I despise hairdressers, and I also dyed Sarah's fake blond orange hair and now it's...GREEN!(she thinks it's blue though!)Hope she'll still come back and visit me!! Have a great new week Joey!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad this stuff never happens to us guys. HOWEVER since my hair is now turning gray i should probably try your hairdresser for sure
Can i use your certificate?
Henry

Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad this never happens to us guys.HOWEVER now that my dutch hair is turning gray i should probably go to your hair salon. CAN i use your gift certificate?
Henry