Saturday, November 14, 2009

Catch Up

Sorry...I haven't been very faithful with this little blog! I guess life has been either busy or stressful and lately I've been a little too content just "vegging out".

My morning job continues to be stressful, but lots of fun as well! I enjoy both of my students, but feel stressed because I am SO out of my area of expertise. Both of the children have learning disabilities and they keep me on my toes. The other day we were learning about the cash crops of the South (we're studying the 13 colonies). When they found out that they grew tobacco, quite a lively discussion began. O was mortified that they grew tobacco, while C said his family uses tobacco almost everyday. "Oh really?", I questioned. "Yup! We use it on a lot of our food. You know, that stuff that comes in the little bottle and it's red?" Um...I think he meant Tabasco sauce!!

David and Bill have both been sick and both are on antibiotics. Some things throw David into a "compulsive" state, and that is what this cold and congestion seem to have done. He would get the least little bit congested and HAD to get rid of it NOW!!! He blew his nose so hard that he broke an artery(?) that might need to be cauterized.

I've become enamored with my husband lately. I mean, I've ALWAYS loved him, but I am in awe of how much he knows about and how much he remembers. He seems to be the proverbial "walking encyclopedia"! Here are a few of our recent conversations:

  • We drove passed a restaurant named "Einsteins". Bill, out of nowhere says, "One stone".

"Huh???"

"Einstein...it means 'one stone' in German."

Then he proceeds to tell me when in history we began to acquire last names.

"Some people thought it would be funny to state that they were not nobility. You probably know lots of them. Their last name today is 'Zondervaan' ".

  • Last night he went to the symphony...alone. He gets these fabulous tickets for only $15 and he LOVES classical music. Last night he heard music by Rachmaninoff. When he returned home, I asked him about the concert. He then proceeded to tell me the story about when Rachmaninoff debuted the music. It was in Russia. Apparently, the symphony was horrible and the music opened to horrific reviews. It was devastating to Rachmaninoff and he quit writing for three years. And then, my husband begins to WHISTLE the first symphony!!!
  • We've always been sarcastic when we banter with each other. The other day he was going on and on about something that I was not the least bit interested in, so I said, "You better save this to talk about with all your other girl friends."

"Well", he said, "you should be happy that I'm getting so old."

"Why?" I ask.

"Because now I'm down to only 80 girlfriends!" he says.

"Yeah, but who do you always come home to at night?" I ask.

"#81!"

  • Tonight Narnia came up in our conversation. Don't ask me why, it just did. I innocently asked him about the story that proceeds The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and he prattles off the whole story of The Magician's Nephew and for some strange reason, I realize again, why I love spending time with my husband.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh man, I miss being around my daddy! :-(

I do love it when God gives us silly reminders of why we love the men that He has given us. Jeff can be such a goof-ball sometimes!

I love you and I hope David is feeling better. Give him a hug from his big sis!

Unknown said...

Dad read that book to ted and I a chapter at a time abput 38 years ago while we listened in our bunk beds. I hope dave gets better quick.