Thursday, April 28, 2011

God's Mercies in Disguise

Today was a glorious day in Texas! I love the weather here in the Spring...before we get clobbered by the heat and humidity!


I greeted the day by reading the somber news about Dave Wilkerson. He was killed in a car accident on Wednesday afternoon. For those of you who have never heard of him, he is probably best known for a book he wrote entitled The Cross and the Switchblade. It is his story of working with gangs and drug addicts in the inner-city of New York City.


He also wrote a blog. I went to his blog today and was moved by his last entry...


To those going through the valley and shadow of death, hear this word: Weeping will last through some dark, awful nights—and in that darkness you will soon hear the Father whisper, “I am with you. I cannot tell you why right now, but one day it will all make sense. You will see it was all part of my plan. It was no accident. It was no failure on your part. Hold fast. Let me embrace you in your hour of pain.”

Beloved, God has never failed to act but in goodness and love. When all means fail—his love prevails. Hold fast to your faith. Stand fast in his Word. There is no other hope in this world.

I was also moved by the destruction and devastation of the severe weather in the South East. Tornadoes ripped through many Southern towns and hundreds are homeless tonight. It brings me right back to many of the emotions I felt after we lost our home. I hope many of you will join me in praying for these people. I'm so thankful that I know the God Who gives hope inspite of devastation and brings renewal and healing despite the circumstances of this life. Dave Wilkerson's words seem from his blog are so very appropriate for all that suffer and hurt...especially those suffering right now as a result of the tornadoes.


Recently I have heard a song played on the radio and the words have captured my heart. This song seems especially appropriate to me tonight as I ponder all the sadness that these last two days have brought to so many. This song is sung by Laura Story and if you have never heard it, I hope you will take time to listen to this You Tube version and if you are someone hurting, I pray the words bring you comfort and peace.



We pray for blessings, we pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering

All the while You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?

What if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?

We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough

And all the while You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?

And what if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?


'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You're near?

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
This world can't satisfy?

And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise?

No comments: