Saturday, November 20, 2010

Breakfast At Chick Fil A



I have the sweetest little boy that I tutor on Saturday mornings. His name is Edwin and he is in first grade. Every week Edwin has phonograms that he must memorize. For example, if I show him the phonogram "ed", I have to teach him the three different ways he would hear "ed". Sometimes it's "ed" like in "added". Sometimes it sounds like "d" like in "walked". Or sometimes it sounds like "t" as in the word "checked". Poor Edwin! I think phonograms must make his little life miserable! Especially on Saturday mornings. But he is such a little trooper and he has such a brilliant little mind and he is learning his sounds. When I was in school, there were 70 phonograms. But, like everything else, times have changed...today's students must learn 72. Edwin has 57 of them mastered!


This morning, as I drove to Edwin's, I decided to treat myself to breakfast at Chick Fil A. I LOVE their chicken minis!!!!! Anyway, as I patiently (?) sat in the drive thru lane, I noticed these cute little birds hopping around. They were out catching the proverbial early worm. Only, instead of worms, they were feasting on Chick Fil A crumbs! One little guy had a HUGE piece of bread in his beak. I mean, it was almost as big as he was! So, I was just smiling at the cute little birds, and inching my way up to the "order machine" (what's the correct term for that thing?), when a little bird caught my eye and literally made me gasp! I saw this bird pick up a piece of mulch. Motherly instincts took over! From behind the rolled-up windows of my car, I called out to the bird. "NO!", I tried to warn him. "Don't eat that! It's not food!"



Somewhere in that little vignette is a kernel for a devotion to be written someday in the future.


Today, it brought to mind Matthew 7.



9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!


So thankful for sunny Saturdays, little boys learning to read, and a heavenly Father that has never given me a snake, or a stone, or a piece of mulch!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love the way your mind works...and your hand writes..I'm so blessed to have you for my sister.

Blah, Blah, Blah! said...

Thank you, Karen, for making my heart smile. xoxo