Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Stability

I have been waiting to write a devotion on "Stability". Every month a woman from Proverbs 31 invites women to share their thoughts on a specific topic. I knew that this month the key word was stability, but somehow I missed the deadline. It's a good thing I did, because the more I focused on stability, the more I realized that I don't naturally have much...if any!

I knew the verses that I wanted to reflect on...verses from Psalm 62:

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Those thoughts are a recurring theme in this Psalm as well as many of the other Psalms written by David. I found it interesting that David often refers to God as both a rock and as a fortress. So I tried to look up a picture of a rock or a fortress and stumbled across this product called, appropriately enough, "Fortress Rock"! Here is their ad:


It's such a tiny picture and I didn't really think much about it...until...
until I saw the before and after pictures!


Before


After


And that's when I realized what I have because of Christ...

I'm very much like the "before" picture. Left to my own crazy thoughts and schemes, my life sort of erodes all over the place. Christ has given my life stability. He really is my rock, my fortress, my stability.

In reflecting on this, I have thankfully come to realize that stability is not up to me. It is a gracious gift that is given to me because of Christ. The more I trust Him, the more I grow in my relationship with Him, the more of His stability is reflected in my life.

Maybe that is why Christ was born in a "stable"...a play on words, I know...but how thankful I am that when I was given "new life" ("reborn"), the Christ of the stable gave my life what it sorely needed...stability!

Thank You, Father, that You are my Saviour from sin. Thank You that You are also my rock, my Protector, my peace, my joy, my hope... and my stability! I love You, Lord!

No comments: