Thursday, December 25, 2008

Immanuel

A blessed Christmas to all of my faithful readers! This blog, which started out as something therapeutic for me to do, has turned into such an unexpected joy for me! I am amazed and humbled by the people who read these ramblings and I have been so encouraged by the comments I have received. I have had readers from as far away as Iraq and Amsterdam! And I have been visited by readers from several states including California, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Minnesota, and others! I don't know who you all are, but it's fun to see where you come from! Soon I will have my 1,000th visitor! This has really been a joyful adventure!
This morning for my quiet time I read some from Matthew about the birth of Jesus. "...and they will call him Immanuel-which means, 'God with us'." Matthew 1:23 I have always loved that name and it's meaning. The name Immanuel was especially meaningful that first Christmas after we lost our home. It gave me such assurance and security to know that God was with me, truly with me, walking with me, holding my hand, being my constant support.
That verse from Matthew sent me on a scavenger hunt of sorts as I tried to think of other verses that back up the name Immanuel. How about Matthew 28:20. Jesus, the baby talked about in chapter 1, is now ready to return home to His Father. One of the last things He says to His disciples (and to us) are the reassuring words..."and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Because of Immanuel, because of this God Who became flesh and has promised to be with me always, I have hope and joy and peace. Christmas blessings to you all!

No comments: