Monday, October 6, 2008

Another Chocolate Chip

If you don't understand the title of this entry, read the post from Saturday. That being said, I had a wonderful weekend with my sister, Karen, and her husband, Harv!

Sister Karen


Brother-in-law, Harvey

Karen and Harv called on Friday, stating they were in San Antonio and would arrive at our home on Saturday. They were on the return leg of their road adventure. They left Grand Rapids two weeks earlier and followed Route 66 from Chicago, Illinois to Santa Monica, California. They took their van and graciously agreed to stow away some of my stuff that needed to make the trip from Michigan to Texas. So not only did they make the historic journey, they made the historic journey with some of my beloved heirlooms! Thanks, Kare and Harv!!! I'm glad to report that all my stuff arrived in perfect condition!! Kare and Harv both turned 66 this year, so they decided it was the perfect time to "get their kicks on Route 66!" It's not an easy trip because the highway has numerous stops and starts, twists and turns, abrupt stops and confusing directions. Their GPS got a real workout! Anyway, they found their way to our house, and it was a real treat to spend some time with them.

Kare and I went to a birthday party in the evening for one of my students. It was a genuine Mexican fiesta, complete with a pinata. We had great fun trying new foods, especially the tres leches birthday cake! YUM!! We both enjoy Nicholas Sparks novels, so we also took in his latest movie, Nights in Rodanthe. Good times!

On Sunday we went to our church and had fun introducing them to some of our new Houston friends. It was funny for Kare and I to hear people tell us how much we look alike! NEVER in my whole entire life have I heard those words. Karen and Nancy have always looked alike , and I have always looked like...well, let's just say my sisters always told me that I was adopted!!

Next, they treated us to one of our favorite little eating places, Santos. After a fabulous Mexican meal, it was nap time and then the evening service at church. After a light supper, Kare taught me how to play Dumb Dice. I won! But Kare is the queen of all games, so I have a funny feeling she let me win!

This morning they left and headed for Iowa. They have a grandson, Brian, that attends Doordt College, and they hope to visit him before returning home.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't get to see my sisters very often, so I felt doubly blessed to be with Nancy two weeks ago, and with Kare this past weekend! There's nothing like family!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi #3 So you couldn't wait to see the movie with me huh? That's ok I'm seeing it thursday with Shirley. I'm glad they were able to come and bring you all your treasures! I'm anxious to hear all about their trip and see their pictures> Sounds like the Mexican party was fun. Is that who got the chicago t-shirt?Hope you a super day! Luvvvvv u Nancy